Working as an Employee in Sweden

If you are a citizen of a country which is not a member of the European Union (EU) and wish to work in Sweden your residence/work permit must have been approved before entering the country.

This application can be submitted to the Embassy in Washington OR to any of the Swedish Consulates in the United States.

Please, note that the application must be submitted in two complete sets!

If you are granted a residence permit, the decision will be sent to the embassy. If you have not previously been photographed and had your fingerprints taken, you will need to visit the embassy to do so. Once the residence card is ready, the embassy will send the card to you.

IMPORTANT: The permit must have been approved before your arrival in Sweden.

The residence card should be presented together with a valid passport document when you enter Sweden.

Please submit 2 copies of the following documents:

  • Application by Employee (form #149011), completed, signed and dated, and including detailed contact information.

  • Notarized copies of the pages of your passport that show your identity and the validity of your passport. Also include copies of any other permits in your passport. 

  • Notarized copy of US Alien Registration Card or other valid resident visa (type A, E, F, G, H, I, J, K, L, O, or R), if applicable.

  • Written offer of employment in Sweden. Your employer can download the Offer of Employment form from the Migration Board website:

  • Application fee, in the form of one money order or certified bank check, payable to the Embassy of Sweden OR to the Swedish Consulate you submit your application to. 

How much does it cost?

Application fees can be found in the Service Fees list.

How do I submit my application?

Applications with all required documents may be delivered in person during visiting hours or mailed directly to the following address:

Embassy of Sweden
Attn: Visa Section
2900 K Street, N.W.
Washington, DC 20007

OR to any of the Swedish Consulates in the United States.

Please note that you might be requested to provide additional documentation.

How long does it take?

An estimated time of 6-8 months is usually required to process your application.

Processing your application

Once all the documents have been received your case will be forwarded to the Swedish Migration Board.

May my family come with me?

Your family, i.e., spouse/cohabitant and children under 18, can obtain residence permits for the same period as you.

The co-application must be completed and submitted with the primary application.  Please refer to the section on co-application for detailed instructions.