Residence Permits for Students

If you are planning to study at a university, college, upper secondary school or folk high school in Sweden for more than three months, you will need a residence permit.

This application can be submitted to the Embassy in Washington OR to any of the Swedish Consulates in the United States.

The permit must have been approved before your arrival in Sweden.

For a stay of less than three months, no residence permit is required. However, foreign nationals of certain countries must obtain visas in order to enter Sweden.

The Swedish Ministry for Foreign Affairs maintains a list of countries whose citizens must obtain a visa to enter Sweden

Visas are granted for no longer than three months. If you are a citizen of a country belonging to the EU, please contact the Embassy of Sweden for further details.

Studies in Denmark
If you want to apply for a residence permit for studies in Denmark you can submit your application, in person and by appointment at the Embassy of Sweden in Washington, DC. The Embassy will forward the application to the Danish authorities in Denmark for a decision. The fee is the same as when you apply at a Danish Consulate.

The Embassy of Sweden can not register your biometrics in Washington DC. If your application is granted you will be allowed entry through a national visa into Denmark and have your biometrics taken after entry. If you wish to register your biometrics in the United States please contact the Consulate General of Denmark in New York and submit your application with them.

When applying for residence permits, different requirements may apply for:

> doctoral studies or research
> college/university studies
> upper secondary or high school (gymnasium)
> continuing or adult education (folkhögskola)