Residence Permits for Visits

All foreign nationals – including U.S. citizens – who plan to move to Sweden or stay in Sweden for more than 90 days need to obtain a residence permit card (UT card) before entering the country.

This application can be submitted to the Embassy in Washington OR to any of the Swedish Consulates in the United States except for the Consulate General in New York and the consulates within its consular district (Boston, Jamestown and Philadelphia).

Please, note that the application must be submitted in two complete sets!

Resident Permits for Visits
If you are granted a residence permit, the decision will be sent to the embassy. If you have not previously been photographed and had your fingerprints taken, you will need to visit the embassy in Washington, DC to do so. Once the residence card is ready, the embassy will send the card to you.

IMPORTANT: The permit must have been approved before your arrival in Sweden. The residence card should be presented together with a valid passport document when you enter Sweden.

Please submit 2 copies of the following documents:

• Residence Permit for visitor’s application form (#165011) or 2 copies of Application for Child under 18 (#167011), completed, signed and dated, including detailed contact information.

• Notarized copies of the pages of your passport that show your identity and the validity of your passport. Also include copies of any other permits in your passport.

• Bank statement.

• Return ticket.

• Appendix D: Family Details Appendix for Applicants (form #239011)

• A confirmation letter from your insurance company stating clearly that you have international insurance for 

- any emergency medical expenses
- emergency hospital treatment
- repatriation for medical reasons 

Minimum coverage must be EUR 30,000 (equivalent USD 37,000) and the coverage has to be valid for the entire duration of the trip. If your insurance company cannot provide such a letter, you must find an international insurance that does.

Please note that an insurance card is not sufficient proof of coverage. You must have proof of the above items.

• Application fee, in the form of one money order or certified bank check, payable to the Embassy of Sweden OR to the Swedish Consulate you submit your application to.

• Additional document(s) depending on reason to visit. Please contact the Embassy for more information.

How much does it cost?

Application fees can be found in the Service Fees list.

How do I submit my application?
Applications with all required documents may be delivered in person during visiting hours or mailed directly to the following address:

Embassy of Sweden
Attn: Visa Section
2900 K Street, N.W
Washington, DC 20007

 to any of the Swedish Consulates in the United States.

Due to the large number of applications, the Embassy will NOT be able to confirm receipt of your documents. If you would like acknowledgement that your application has been received, please use registered mail or a delivery service such as FedEx that enables you to track packages online.

Please note that you might be requested to provide additional documentation.

How long does it take?
An estimated time of 6-8 months is usually required to process your application.
Due to the current high volume of applications there is a very long waiting period for interviews in Sweden which might delay the process. The Embassy has no means of speeding up this process.

Processing your application
After your documents have been examined by a consular officer, you will be invited for an interview.
Your Swedish family member/relation will be interviewed in Sweden. If your Swedish family member or relation resides in the U.S., you will be interviewed together.

As soon as all the documents have been received your case will be forwarded to the Swedish Migration Board.