Residence Permit Based on Family or Personal Connection

This applies to individuals who are married, cohabiting, or intend to marry or cohabit with someone who is a Swedish citizen or permanent Swedish resident. It also applies to unmarried children under 18.

This application can be submitted to the Embassy in Washington OR to any of the Swedish Consulates in the United States. You can also apply for a permit directly on the Migration Board´s website. Processing time for online applications is in general shorter.

For more information on how to apply online, visit the Migrations Board website by clicking on the below link:

Please, note that the application must be submitted in two complete sets!

If you are granted a residence permit, the decision will be sent to the embassy. If you have not previously been photographed and had your fingerprints taken, you will need to visit the embassy to do so. Once the residence card is ready, the embassy will send the card to you.

IMPORTANT: The permit must have been approved before your arrival in Sweden.

The residence card should be presented together with a valid passport document when you enter Sweden.

Please submit 2 copies of the following documents:

  • Residence Permit Application Form (#161011) or 2 copies of Application for Child under 18 (#163011), completed, signed and dated, including detailed contact information.

  • Appendix D: Family Details Appendix for Applicants (form #239011)

  • Additional form(s) depending on if the applicant is:

    ...married to or cohabiting with a Swedish citizen or resident (#T92 and #228011)

    ...planning to marry or cohabit with a Swedish citizen or resident  (#T91);

    ...a minor wishing to take up residence with a parent who is already living in Sweden (#T93);

    ...wishing to reside with a close relative (reference person) with whom he/she has previously shared a household and has a relationship of dependence which makes it very difficult to live apart (#T84)

  • Notarized copies of the pages of your passport that show your identity and the validity of your passport. Also include copies of any other permits in your passport.

  • A copy of your Swedish family member's or relation's passport and (if applicable) a copy of US Alien Registration Card or other valid resident visa (type A, E, F, G, H, I, J, K, L, O, or R).

  • Family member's "personbevis" (the family member must be registered in Sweden).

  • If married, your marriage certificate. Your marriage must be registered with the Swedish National Tax Board (Skatteverket). A letter and a copy of your marriage certificate should be submitted to the local tax office in Sweden where your spouse was most recently registered.

  • If cohabiting but not married, copies of a shared lease, utility bills and/or bank statements.

  • If divorced, copies of your divorce decree. If the applicant is a child under 18 with divorced parents, copies of the divorce decree plus notarized consent for the child to move to Sweden from both biological parents or court documents showing sole custody of the child(ren) must be submitted.

  • Brief personal letter stating (1) when you are planning to move, (2) whether you already have a place to live, and (3) whether you already have an offer of employment.

  • Application fee, in the form of one money order or certified bank check, payable to the Embassy of Sweden OR to the Swedish Consulate you submit your application to.

How much does it cost?

Application fees can be found in the Service Fees list.

How do I submit my application?

Applications with all required documents may be delivered in person during visiting hours or mailed directly to the following address:

Embassy of Sweden
Attn: Visa Section
2900 K Street, N.W
Washington, DC 20007

OR to any of the Swedish Consulates in the United States.

Due to the large number of applications, the Embassy will NOT be able to confirm receipt of your documents. If you would like acknowledgement that your application has been received, please use registered mail or a delivery service such as FedEx that enables you to track packages online.

Please note that you might be requested to provide additional documentation.

How long does it take?

An estimated time of 6-8 months is usually required to process your application.

Due to the current high volume of applications there is a very long waiting period for interviews in Sweden which might delay the process. The Embassy has no means of speeding up this process.

Processing your application

After your documents have been examined by a consular officer, you will be invited for an interview.

Your Swedish family member/relation will be interviewed in Sweden. If your Swedish family member or relation resides in the U.S., you will be interviewed together.

As soon as all the documents have been received your case will be forwarded to the Swedish Migration Board.