Visa for Visiting Family and Friends
When applying for a visa to visit family and friends, you must submit all of the below documents and all forms must be filled in completely. The application must be submitted to the Embassy in Washington. Read this page carefully before you begin.
PLEASE NOTE: Starting May 9, 2014 all applicants, applying for a Schengen visa, must submit biometric data (ten fingerprints and a digital photo). This means that all applicants have to schedule an appointment at the Embassy of Sweden in Washington, D.C.
Residents of the following states: AK, AZ, CA, CO, HI, ID, MT, NV, NM, OR, UT, WA, and WY can choose to apply through Norway and its partner Travisa/VFS Global office in San Francisco. Residents in Texas can do the same through their Houston office as of October 13, 2015. http://www.vfsglobal.com/norway/USA/index.html
The biometric data is stored in the Visa Information System (VIS), an IT-system that allows Schengen States to exchange data. For more information visit: ec.europa.eu
Please submit the following documents:
- Application for Schengen Visa (form #119031), completed, signed and dated.
- Appendix D: Family Details Appendix for Applicants (form #239011).
- A passport/travel document valid for at least three months after the intended departure from the Schengen area, shall contain two blank pages and been issued whitin the previous 10 years.
- 1 passport photo, in color, taken from the front. Digital files and photocopies of passport pictures will NOT be accepted.
- Notarized copy of U.S. Alien Registration Card or other valid resident visa (type A, E, F, G, H, I, J, K, L, O, or R) valid for at least three months after the intended departure from the Schengen area.
- Bank statement (previous three months)
- A confirmation letter from your insurance company stating clearly that you have international coverage for:
– any emergency medical expenses
– emergency hospital treatment
– repatriation for medical reasons
Minimum coverage must be EUR 30,000 (equivalent USD 37,000) and the coverage has to be valid for the entire duration of the trip. If your insurance company cannot provide such a letter, you must find an international insurance that does.
Note! A copy of your insurance card is not enough. You need to provide proof of the above mentioned items.
- A copy of your flight itinerary.
- Letter from employer stating that you are employed and have vacation time or have eligible vacation. (If you are self-employed, include a copy of your business license and tax return. If you are a student, include a letter from the school verifying enrollment.)
For applicants visiting family or friends in Sweden:
Letter of invitation form #241011 from your relatives/friends in Sweden, plus a copy of their "personbevis" (extract from the census register), which can be obtained at the local tax office.
For applicants visiting family or friends in Finland:
A letter of invitation form #241011 from your relatives/friends in Finland.
For applicants visiting family and friends in Iceland:
A letter of invitation where the realtionship between the host and the applicant are stated. Furhtermore, the Embassy/Directorate may request that the applicant provides documentation to prove family ties. If the purpose is to visit a fiancé, the Embassy/Directorate requests that the invitation letter states how long the host and his visitor have know each other and whether/when they have met.
- Notarized written consent signed by both parents (if under the age of 18).
- Application fee and return postage in the form of one money order or certified bank check, payable to Embassy of Sweden.
How much does it cost?
Application costs and additional fees can be found in the Service Fees list.
Children under the age of six are exempt from the fee, as are students and academic researchers visiting Sweden as part of a study program or to conduct scientific research.
All applications should also include payment for return shipment for the passport:
$10 for regular Fed Ex OR
$17 for next-business-day delivery
or a self-addressed stamped envelope or self-addressed pre-paid FedEx packing slip
The total amount can be paid with one money order.
How do I submit my application?
Applications with all required documents must be delivered in person at the Embassy. Please call the visa department to schedule an appointment at (202) 467-2694.
Embassy of Sweden
2900 K Street, N.W.
Washington, D.C. 20007
In some cases, you may be asked to provide additional documentation.
Even with submission of all required documents, there is no guarantee that you will be granted a visa.
NOTE: An entry visa does not automatically entitle the holder to enter the Schengen area. A decision is made every time the traveler passes through a border control, as travelers must have (1) proof of sufficient funds to support themselves for the duration of their stay and their return, (2) travel medical insurance, and (3) documents indicating the purpose of their visit.