Airport Transit Visa
Airport transit visas allow entry to Sweden for the sole purpose of changing planes and does not allow the bearer to exit the terminal building. The application must be submitted in person to the Embassy in Washington.
Individuals from the countries listed below need to have an airport transit visa when traveling through Sweden:
- Congo, Democratic Republic (Zaire)
- Sri Lanka
Please submit the following documents:
- Application for Transit Visa (form #119031), same as Application for Schengen Visa; completed, signed and dated.
- A passport/travel document
- 1 passport photo, in color, taken from the front with the face depicted at a straight angle. Digital files and photocopies of passport pictures will NOT be accepted.
- Copy of airline ticket(s).
- Application fee and return postage in the form of one money order or certified bank check, payable to Embassy of Sweden.
How much does it cost?
Application fee can be found in the Service Fees list.
Your payment should also include return postage for your passport:
$10 for regular Fed Ex OR
$17 for next business day delivery
or a self-addressed stamped envelope or self-addressed pre-paid FedEx packing slip
The total amount can be paid with one money order.
How do I submit my application?
Applications with all required documents must be delivered in person at the Embassy. Please call the visa department to schedule an appointment at (202) 467-2694 between 11:00 am - 12:00 pm EST on Mondays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays.
Embassy of Sweden
2900 K Street, N.W.
Washington, D.C. 20007
Please note that you might be requested to provide additional documentation.
Even with submission of all required documents, there is no guarantee that you will be granted a visa.
NOTE: An entry visa does not automatically entitle the holder to enter the Schengen area. A decision is made every time the traveler passes through a border control, as travelers must have (1) proof of sufficient funds to support themselves for the duration of their stay and their return, (2) travel medical insurance, and (3) documents indicating the purpose of their visit.