Online Visa Application
The simplest and fastest way to submit an application for a Schengen visa to visit Sweden is to do so electronically. However, in order to apply electronically you must fulfil certain requirements. You can see what the requirements are below. Read this page carefully before you begin.
PLEASE NOTE: Starting May 9, 2014 all applicants, applying for a Schengen visa, must submit biometric data (ten fingerprints and a digital photo). This means that all applicants have to schedule an appointment at the Embassy of Sweden in Washington, D.C. Residents of the following states AK, AZ, CA, CO, HI, ID, MT, NV, NM, OR, UT, WA, and WY can choose to schedule an appointment at the Consulate General of Norway in San Francisco.
The biometric data is stored in the Visa Information System (VIS), an IT-system that allows Schengen States to exchange data. For more information visit: ec.europa.eu
To be able to apply for a visa electronically, you must:
- schedule an appointment with the Embassy of Sweden in Washington, DC before applying online
- have a valid email address that will continue to be valid throughout the entire application process
- pay with a credit card: Visa or MasterCard
- have access to a computer with the correct technical specifications (further information about the technical requirements on the Swedish Migration Agency website)
- have access to the required supporting documents in electronic form
You cannot use this service if:
- Sweden is represented by another country in the country from which you are applying
- you wish to apply for a visa for another Schengen country which is represented by Sweden in the country from which you are applying
- you wish to apply for a work permit at the same time
Check which supporting documents you need to attach to your application. This information is available under the heading for the type of Visa you are applying for in the menu.
- documents must be no larger than 2MB
- only latin characters are allowed in the filename
- the following file formats are acceptable: pdf, doc(x), jpg, png, rtf, txt
> To the electronic visa application service