Visa for Business and Conference
When applying for a business visa, you must submit all of the following documents, and all forms must be filled in completely. The application must be submitted in person to the Embassy in Washington.
- Application for Schengen Visa (form #119031), completed, signed and dated.
- Appendix A: Questionnaire for Visa Applicants (form #210021).
- A passport/travel document valid for at least three months after the intended departure from the Schengen area, shall contain at least two blank pages and been issued within the previous 10 years.
- 1 passport photo, in color, taken from the front. Digital files and photocopies of passport pictures will NOT be accepted.
- A copy of your hotel reservation.
- Notarized copy of U.S. Alien Registration Card or other valid resident visa (type A, E, F, G, H, I, J, K, L, O, or R) valid for at least three months after the intended departure from the Schengen area.
- A confirmation letter from your insurance company stating clearly that you have international coverage for:
– any emergency medical expenses
– emergency hospital treatment
– repatriation for medical reasons
Minimum coverage must be EUR 30,000 (equivalent USD 50,000) and the coverage has to be valid for the entire duration of the trip. If your insurance company cannot provide such a letter, you must find an international insurance that does.
Note! A copy of your insurance card is not enough. You need to provide proof of the above mentioned items.
- Business references: letter from U.S. company AND an invitation from the Swedish company stating who will cover the expenses.
- A copy of your flight itinerary.
- Application fee and return postage in the form of one money order or certified bank check, payable to Embassy of Sweden.
How much does it cost?
Application costs and other fees can be found in the Service Fees list.
Students and academic researchers are exempt from the fee - on the condition that they are visiting Sweden as part of a study program or to conduct scientific research.
Representatives of non-profit organizations aged 25 years or younger participating in seminars, conferences, sports, cultural or educational events organized by non-profit organizations are exempt from the fee.
All applications should also include payment for return shipment for the passport:
$10 for regular Fed Ex OR
$17 for next-business-day delivery
or a self-addressed stamped envelope or self-addressed pre-paid FedEx packing slip
The total amount can be paid with one money order.
How do I submit my application?
Applications with all required documents must be delivered in person at the Embassy. Please call the visa department to schedule an appointment at (202) 467-2694 between 11:00 am - 12:00 pm EST on Mondays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays.
Embassy of Sweden
2900 K Street, N.W.
Washington, D.C. 20007
In some cases, you may be asked to provide additional documentation.
Even with submission of all required documents, there is no guarantee that you will be granted a visa.
NOTE: An entry visa does not automatically entitle the holder to enter the Schengen area. A decision is made every time the traveler passes through a border control, as travelers must have (1) proof of sufficient funds to support themselves for the duration of their stay and their return, (2) travel medical insurance, and (3) documents indicating the purpose of their visit.