General Information About Visas to Visit Schengen Countries

A Schengen visa is required for persons of certain nationalities who wish to visit the Schengen countries. A complete application must be submitted to the Embassy at least 15 days before the intended visit and can not be lodged earlier than three months before the start of the intended visit.

List of foreign citizens who require a visa for Sweden

The Embassy is currently experiencing high volumes of visa applications. Please make sure to schedule an appointment well in advance of your travel, as the current wait time for an appointment is approximately four weeks.

PLEASE NOTE: Starting May 9, 2014 all applicants, applying for a Schengen visa, must submit biometric data (ten fingerprints and a digital photo). This means that all applicants have to schedule an appointment at the Embassy of Sweden in Washington, D.C. Residents of the following states AK, AZ, CA, CO, HI, ID, MT, NV, NM, OR, UT, WA, and WY can choose to schedule an appointment at the Consulate General of Norway in San Francisco.

The biometric data is stored in the Visa Information System (VIS), an IT-system that allows Schengen States to exchange data. For more information visit:

As of January 1, 2012 the Embassy in Washington, DC require personal appearance of Schengen visa applicants in the following categories:

  • Visiting Family and Friends
  • Tourist
  • Students - studying for less than 90 days
  • Business or Conference - first time traveling to Schengen

If you are married to a EU citizen, please contact the Embassy for more information.

Please call the visa department to schedule an appointment. When you arrive for your appointment, the application including all forms and supporting documents must be complete. If you arrive with an incomplete application the visa officer will reschedule your appointment.

Visa applications may no longer be submitted at the Swedish consulates in the U.S.

As of December 15, 2010, citizens of Bosnia-Herzegovina and Albania, who have biometric passports, do not need visas to travel to the Schengen area. However, if you do not have a biometric passport, you will still need to apply for a visa.

Please choose from these categories of visa:

Please note that the new application form (119031) must be signed in two places, the first refers to the application (No. 37) and the second is the Schengen consent that follows.
> Application form 119031

As of 2008 the Embassy of Sweden in Washington represents Iceland and Norway in the greater Washington, DC area with respect to Schengen visas. Applicants for visas to these countries should apply at the Embassy of Sweden in Washington, DC.

As of November 1, 2013 the Embassy of Sweden does not represent Denmark regarding applications for visa as well as for residence and work permits. Please contact the Embassy of Denmark for more information.

As of 2011, the Embassy of Sweden in Washington represents Finland in regards to visa applications from residents in Washington DC, Virginia and Maryland. Applicants in these areas should apply for visas to Finland at the Embassy of Sweden in Washington, DC. Finnish visa applicants residing in all other states are advised to contact the Finnish Consulates General in Los Angeles or New York depending on the jurisdiction.

> Link to the Finnish consulates' jurisdictions

Please note
that the Embassy of Sweden will apply its own procedures for issuing visas.

The requirements for a Schengen visa stated on our website also apply for visas to Iceland and Norway. For a visa to Finland this form should be used as the invitation.

Applicants from the below states should apply at the CONSULATE GENERAL OF NORWAY using Guidelines for Schengen Visa Applicants at the Norwegian Consulate General in San Francisco:

Alaska Nevada
Arizona New Mexico
California Oregon
Colorado Utah
Hawaii Washington
Idaho Wyoming

Consulate General of Norway in San Francisco
575 Market Street, Suite 3950
San Francisco, CA 94105 USA
Phone: (415) 882-2000
Fax: (415) 882-2000
Visa e-mail: 

NOTE: Visa applications accepted by appointment only. You must read the guidelines listed on their website before submitting queries.

The Embassy of Sweden also accepts applications for residency and/or work permits for Iceland. For instructions and application forms, please visit the website of the Embassy of Iceland in Washington, DC. Please follow their guidelines and make sure the application is complete before submitting it to the Embassy of Sweden.

Please note that residence permits and/or work permits for Norway are still processed by the Embassy of Norway in Washington, DC.

Do I need a visa to enter Sweden, Iceland and Norway?
U.S. citizens visiting for fewer than 90 days are not required to obtain a Schengen visa. The Schengen member states maintain a list of countries whose citizens must obtain a visa to enter the zone.

How long does it take to process a visa application?
In most cases, once a complete application has been submitted, a visa can be issued in 15 days. We do not expedite visa applications.

Who decides my case?
In most cases, the Embassy of Sweden decides whether to grant a visa after reviewing the application in acordance with the Schengen regulations. If the Embassy has reason to believe that you intend to settle in the Schengen zone, it will reject your application.

My visa has been issued by the Embassy of Sweden. Can I use this visa to make a side trip to Finland or Germany?

Yes, you can. In Sweden, entry visas are governed by the rules of the Schengen Agreement. Under the agreement, visas issued by the Embassy of Sweden are also valid for Austria, Belgium, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Switzerland, Slovakia, Slovenia and Spain.

NOTE: An entry visa does not automatically entitle the holder to enter the Schengen area. A decision is made every time the traveler passes through a border control, as travelers must have (1) proof of sufficient funds to support themselves for the duration of their stay and for their return, (2) travel medical insurance, and (3) documents indicating the purpose of their visit.

If you intend to visit several Schengen countries you should apply for a visa at the Embassy or Consulate of the country that is your main destination.

If you intend to visit several Schengen countries but do not have a main destination you should apply for a visa at the Embassy or Consulate of the country which is your first point of entry.