Upper Secondary or High School (Gymnasium)

This applies to individuals who need to apply for a residence permit for upper secondary (gymnasium) studies.

This application can be submitted to the Embassy in Washington OR to any of the Swedish Honorary Consulates in the United States.

Please, note that the application must be submitted in two complete sets!

If you are granted a residence permit, the decision will be sent to the embassy. If you have not previously been photographed and had your fingerprints taken, you will need to visit the embassy to do so. Once the residence card is ready, the embassy will send the card to you.

IMPORTANT: The permit must have been approved before your arrival in Sweden.

The residence card should be presented together with a valid passport document when you enter Sweden.

Please submit 2 copies of the following documents:

  • Residence permit application form #105031, completed, signed and dated, and including detailed contact information.

  • Notarized copies of the pages of your passport that show your identity and the validity of your passport. Also include copies of any other permits in your passport.

  • Certificate from the exchange organization or an acceptance letter from the high school showing that you have been accepted to the program and clearly stating the name and address of the host family.

    If the certificate/acceptance letter from the exchange organization/high school does not show that the organization/high school assumes all financial responsibilities during the entire stay in Sweden, an additional letter from a parent or guardian must be submitted to certify that they will provide a minimum of 7300 SEK (approx. $1300) per month for the entire duration of the stay.  (For example, for a stay of 10 months, proof of 73,000 SEK is required.)  2 copies of a bank statement must be included for verification.

  • Documentation proving that you are covered by health insurance for the duration of your stay in Sweden (minimum 30,000 Euro or 50,000 USD).

  • Application fee, in the form of one money order or certified bank check, payable to Consulate General of Sweden or Embassy of Sweden OR to the Swedish Consulate you submit your application to.

How much does it cost?

Application fees can be found in the Service Fees list.

How do I submit my application?
Applications with all required documents may be delivered in person during visiting hours or sent directly to the following address:

Embassy of Sweden
Attn: Visa Section
2900 K Street, N.W.
Washington, DC 20007

OR to any of the Swedish Honorary Consulates in the United States.

Due to the large number of applications, the Embassy will NOT be able to confirm receipt of your documents. If you would like acknowledgement that your application has been received, please use registered mail or a delivery service such as FedEx that enables you to track packages online.

Please note that you might be requested to provide additional documentation.

How long does it take?

An estimated time of 2-3 months is usually required to process your application.