Doctoral, College/University or Adult Education (Folk High School)

This applies to individuals who need to apply for a residence permit for doctoral or other post-secondary studies at a Swedish college or university, or for adult education at a Swedish folk high school.

This application can be submitted to the Embassy in Washington OR to any of the Swedish Consulates in the United States.

If you are a citizen of a country which is not a member of the European Union (EU) and wish to study in Sweden your residence permit must have been approved before you enter Sweden.

Please, note that the application must be submitted in two complete sets!

If you are granted a residence permit, the decision will be sent to the embassy. If you have not previously been photographed and had your fingerprints taken, you will need to visit the embassy to do so. Once the residence card is ready, the embassy will send the card to you.

IMPORTANT: The permit must have been approved before your arrival in Sweden.

The residence card should be presented together with a valid passport document when you enter Sweden.

Please submit 2 copies of the following documents:

  • Residence permit application form #105031, completed, signed and dated, and including detailed contact information.

  • Notarized copies of the pages of your passport that show your identity and the validity of your passport. Also include copies of any other permits in your passport.

  • Acceptance letter from the school or the exchange organization, giving the dates your studies will begin and end.

  • Documentation proving that you are covered by health insurance for the duration of your stay in Sweden (minimum 30,000 Euro or 50,000 USD).

  • Documentation proving that you have sufficient funds to cover your living expenses for the entire duration of your stay in Sweden. You must show proof of currently available funds of at least 7300 SEK (approx. $1100) per month. (For example, if you are planning to stay for 10 months, you need proof of 73,000 SEK.)

    This proof can be in the form of a letter or statement from your bank confirming that you personally (not a parent, guarantor or other sponsor) have a bank account in your name with the total amount of required funds; or documentation certifying that you have received either a scholarship or student benefit from your country of origin/residence.

    Accompanying spouses or co-habiting partners, application form #134011, must show proof of available funds of least 3500 SEK per month for the duration of the stay. For each accompanying child, the applicant must show proof of available funds of at least 2100 SEK per month for the duration of the stay.

  • Application fee, in the form of one money order or certified bank check, payable to Embassy of Sweden OR to the Swedish Consulate you submit your application to.

How much does it cost?

Application fees can be found in the Service Fees list.

How do I submit my application?

Applications with all required documents may be delivered in person during visiting hours or sent directly to the following address:

Embassy of Sweden
Attn: Visa Section
2900 K Street, N.W.
Washington, DC 20007

OR to any of the Swedish Honorary Consulates in the United States.

Due to the large number of applications, the Embassy will NOT be able to confirm receipt of your documents. If you would like acknowledgement that your application has been received, please use registered mail or a delivery service such as FedEx that enables you to track packages online.

Please note that you might be requested to provide additional documentation.

How long does it take?

An estimated time of 2-3 months is usually required to process your application.

How long is a permit valid?

If the study period is a year or less, you will be granted a residence permit for the duration of your studies. If the study period is longer than a year you will be granted a permit for one year at a time.

To obtain an extension of your residence permit, you must be able to show that you have performed adequately in your studies. You must also be able to show that you have regularly received money for your upkeep during the time you have spent in Sweden, by producing a bank certificate or a statement of accounts. In addition, you must be able to show that you have been accepted for further studies and that your upkeep remains assured.