Renewal of Passport for Children under 18
Child applicants under 18, who have previously held a Swedish passport, must be accompanied by a legal guardian and bring the below when applying for a new passport.
Passport Appointments - Book Online
The Embassy in Washington DC has initiated scheduled appointments to apply for/renew regular passports/ID cards. You can book your appointment online through the below link. Remember to keep the reference code you get when you book your appointment. It will be needed to cancel or reschedule.
> Please click here to Schedule, Cancel or Reschedule an appointment
- The child's old passport, valid or expired
(If this is lost or missing, see lost passports).
- If his/her passport has expired you will need to bring a "personbevis" (identification certificate) not older than 30 days.
- Original documentation proving U.S. resident status (valid visa or green card) or U.S. citizenship (naturalization certificate), or notarized copy of same.
If the applicant became a U.S. citizen before July 1, 2001, documentation from the Swedish Migration Board must be provided to certify that he/she has regained Swedish citizenship.
- Written consent of both legal guardians, on a separate authorization form (link to Guardian Certificate), signed prior to visiting the embassy/consulate.
- If legal custody has been granted to one parent or to another person, legal proof of guardianship must be submitted with the application.
- Passports (or other valid photo ID with a clearly visible signature) of both legal guardians, or a notarized copy of same.
- Application fee can be found under Service Fees, and be paid with Visa or Mastercard or a money order or certified bank check payable to Embassy of Sweden.
Do not bring passport photos. As part of new procedures introduced in 2007, all applicants are digitally photographed on site at the time of the application.
The new passport is normally ready 1-2 weeks from the time of application. It may not be delivered by mail, and must be picked up in person by a legal guardian or by the applicant, if she or he is 15 or older.
The new passport may be picked up at any Swedish consulate in the United States.
For pick-up of the new passport at a consular location other than the one at which the application was submitted, there is a shipping fee of $10 (payable at time of application) and an additional processing fee of $20 (payable at pickup).