Renewal of Passport for Adults 18 or Older
Applicants 18 years or older who have previously had a Swedish passport should bring the below documents when applying for a new passport.
Passport Appointments - Book Online or by Phone
The Embassy in Washington DC has initiated scheduled appointments to apply for/renew regular passports/ID cards. You can book your appointment online or by calling the Embassy reception at (202) 467-2600. Remember to keep the reference code you get when you book your appointment. It will be needed to cancel or reschedule.
> Please click here to Schedule, Cancel or Reschedule an appointment
- The old passport, valid or expired (if lost or missing, see lost passports).
- An application for a legal change of name may not be submitted along with a passport application. Contact the Swedish Tax Authority to apply for a name change before applying for a new passport.
- If your passport has expired you will need to bring a "personbevis" (identification certificate) not older than 30 days.
- Original documentation proving U.S. resident status (valid visa or green card) or U.S. citizenship (naturalization certificate), or notarized copy of same.
If the applicant became a U.S. citizen before July 1, 2001, documentation from the Swedish Migration Board must be provided to certify that he/she has regained Swedish citizenship.
- Application fee can be found under Service Fees, and can be paid with Visa or Mastercard or a money order or certified bank check payable to Embassy of Sweden.
Do not bring passport photos. As part of the new procedures introduced in 2007, all applicants are digitally photographed on site at the time of the application.
The new passport is normally ready 1-2 weeks from the time of application. The passport must be picked up in person and may not be delivered by mail.
The new passport may be picked up at any Swedish consulate in the United States.
For pickup of the new passport at a consular location other than the one at which the application was submitted, there is a shipping fee of $10 (payable at time of application) and an additional processing fee of $20 (payable at time of pick-up).