First-time Passport Application for Child
Applications for children under 18 who have never previously had a Swedish passport must first apply for and obtain a coordination number. This application can be filed at all Swedish consulates in the US in addition to the Embassy in Washington, DC. The passport can only be applied for at the Embassy in Washington.
Passport Appointments - Book Online
The Embassy in Washington DC has initiated scheduled appointments to apply for/renew regular passports/ID cards. You can book your appointment online through the below link. Remember to keep the reference code you get when you book your appointment. It will be needed to cancel or reschedule.
> Please click here to Schedule, Cancel or Reschedule an appointment
> Application instructions for coordination number
Once the coordination number has been obtained, the child applicant must be accompanied by a legal guardian and bring the following when applying for a new passport:
- Written consent of both legal guardians, on a separate authorization form (link to Guardian Certificate), signed prior to visiting the embassy/consulate.
- If legal custody has been granted to one parent or to another person, legal proof of guardianship must be submitted with the application.
- Child's original birth certificate, issued by the state's Vital Records Office and clearly stating the names of both parents, or notarized copy thereof.
- Copy of legal guardians' marriage certificate, if married.
- Passports (or other valid photo ID with clearly visible signature) of both legal guardians, or notarized copy thereof.
- Original documentation proving U.S. resident status (valid visa or green card) or U.S. citizenship (naturalization certificate) of Swedish legal guardian(s), or notarized copy of same.
If the legal guardian(s) gained U.S. citizenship before July 1, 2001, documentation from the Swedish Migration Board must be provided to certify that he and/or she has regained Swedish citizenship.
- Application fee can be found under Service Fees, and paid with Visa or Mastercard or a money order or a certified bank check, payable to Embassy of Sweden.
Do not bring passport photos. As part of new procedures introduced in 2007, all applicants are digitally photographed on site at the time of the application.
The new passport may not be delivered by mail, and must be picked up in person by a legal guardian or by the applicant, if she or he is 15 or older.
The new passport may be picked up at any Swedish consulate in the United States.
For pickup of the new passport at a consular location other than the one at which the application was submitted, there is a shipping fee of $10 (payable at time of application) and an additional processing fee of $20 (payable at pickup).