How to apply

The quickest and easiest way to apply for a residence permit is to apply online. An online application goes directly to the Swedish Migration Agency and is given priority. If you cannot or do not want to apply over the Internet, you can fill in a paper form that you submit in person to the embassy.

The description below applies to you if you are the citizen of a country outside the EU/EEA and wish to move to live with a family member who is also a citizen of a country outside the EU/EEA or is a Swedish citizen.

Applying online

How to proceed (for applications on paper forms, see further down):

1. Prepare your documentation
Check which documents and personal data you require. The Swedish Migration Agency gives priority to applications that are completed in full, and you get a decision sooner.

Read more under ‘Required documents’.

2. Applying
Follow the Swedish Migration Agency’s instructions for applying online over the Internet. You attach documents electronically and pay the application fee using a VISA card or a MasterCard.

Swedish Migration Board web application

3. Your family member must answer questions
Your family member has to fill in a questionnaire. Once you have sent in your application, he or she will automatically receive an email with instructions. The family member must reply to the questions within two weeks.

4. Visit the embassy/consulate
Wait for the email you receive asking you to make an appointment with the embassy online. Only then will the Swedish Migration Agency have gone through both your application and your family member’s replies and have transferred your case to the embassy.

At the embassy, you have to prove your identity by showing your passport, and you will be interviewed. Children applying for a residence permit are also interviewed. If the child is too young or too immature, the person looking after the child is interviewed instead.

Bring along the originals of the documents you attached to your online application. In its email, the Swedish Migration Agency may also have asked you to bring additional documents with you. You may need to be photographed and fingerprinted for the residence permit card you will receive if you are granted a residence permit. This also applies to children.

You can find the address of the embassy under ‘Contact’ in the menu on the left.

After the interview, your case is transferred back to the Migration Agency in Sweden. If you have neither attended the interview nor made contact with the embassy, your case is nevertheless sent to the Swedish Migration Agency, and your application may be rejected.

5. Wait for the decision
When the Swedish Migration Agency has reached its decision, you will be informed of this by email. The actual decision will be sent to your family member in Sweden, if you have authorised him or her to represent you.

6. Wait for the residence permit card
If you are granted a residence permit, you will be issued with a residence permit card. If you need a visa to enter Sweden, you must have the residence permit card before traveling to Sweden. If you do not need a visa to enter Sweden, you may arrange for the residence permit card after entering Sweden.

The card is ordered automatically if you have already been photographed and fingerprinted when you visited the embassy for the interview.

It can take up to four weeks for the residence permit card to be made and delivered to the embassy.

Applying on a paper form

If you cannot or do not wish to apply online, please contact the embassy for information on a paper form application by phone at 03-5562-5050 Ext. 3 from Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, between 9 am and 11 am, except the embassy’s holidays.

If you have any questions regarding the process of your application, please contact the Migration Agency in Sweden.