How to apply

Most people applying for a residence permit to study at a university or college in Sweden can use the online application on the Swedish Migration Agency website.

If you are applying online, are granted a residence permit and do not need a visa to enter Sweden, you do not normally have to visit the embassy. Regardless of how you apply, your residence permit must have been granted before you leave for Sweden.

Applying online

How to proceed (for applications on paper forms, see further down):

1. Prepare the documentation
Check which documents and personal data you need. The Swedish Migration Agency gives priority to applications that are completed in full, and you get a decision sooner.

Read more under ‘Required documents’ and on the Swedish Migration Agency website.

The Swedish Migration Agency website

2. Applying
Follow the Swedish Migration Agency’s instructions. You attach documents electronically and pay the application fee using a VISA card or a MasterCard. Family members use the same online application if they apply at the same time as you. The online application goes directly to the Swedish Migration Agency for processing followed by a decision.

Online application on the Swedish Migration Agency website

3. Wait for the decision
When the Swedish Migration Agency has reached its decision, you will be informed of this by email. You get the actual decision normally by post from the embassy.

4. Arrange for a residence permit card
If you are granted a residence permit for more than three months, you will be issued with a residence permit card.

If you do not need a visa to enter Sweden
If you have been granted a residence permit and do not require a visa, you travel to Sweden and arrange for the card there. Contact the Swedish Migration Agency for photographing and fingerprinting.

If you need a visa to enter Sweden
Visit the embassy to be photographed and fingerprinted for the residence permit card. You can do so either while waiting for a decision or after you have been granted a residence permit. You need to make an appointment, call the embassy at 03-5562-5050 Ext. 3 during the telephone hours; Monday, Wednesday, and Friday between 9.00 am and 11.00 am except the embassy's holidays. Bring the passport that you used when applying for a residence permit and a self-addressed “Letter-pack Plus” mailer to send you the residence permit card from the embassy.

You can find the address of the embassy under ‘Contact’ in the menu on the left.

It can take up to four weeks for the residence permit card to be prepared and delivered to the embassy. Once the card has arrived at the embassy, it will be send to you by the self-addressed mailer immediately.

Applying on a paper form

If you cannot or do not wish to apply online, please contact the embassy for information on a paper form application by phone at 03-5562-5050 Ext. 3 from Monday, Wednesday, and Friday between 9.00 am and 11.00 am, except the embassy’s holidays. The embassy’s Japanese website has detailed information on the paper form application.