Having children is an exiting event in life. Having children abroad may however also cause many questions och therefore we have gathered information about citizenship, population registration and co-ordination number (civic registration number) here.

In Sweden, a child born after 1 April 2015 to a Swedish parent automatically becomes a Swedish citizen at birth. Children born before 1 April 2015 become Swedish citizens at birth if their mother is a Swedish citizen. The same applies if the father is a Swedish citizen and the child is born in Sweden. If the child is born abroad the child will become a Swedish citizen if the father is Swedish and married to the child's mother. More information available at the Swedish Migration Board.

Population registration
Since the population registration in Sweden not is automatically notified that the child is born it is important to register the birth to the Swedish Tax Agency. The registration is made via the form 'Anmälan Namn' (SKV 7750) which can be downloaded via the link in the right field. Send the form directly to the Swedish Tax Agency together with a birth certificate and copies of both parents passports.

Co-ordination number (samordningsnummer)
It is only necessary to apply for a co-ordination number if the parents are intending to apply for a Swedish passport for their child. If the parents only want to register the child to the Swedish Tax Agency they can do this by submitting the form 'Anmälan Namn' (SKV 7750) directly to the Swedish Tax Agency.

More information about the process in applying for a co-ordination number and for a Swedish passport can be found on A Child's First Passport.