Passport and ID-cards for children below the age of 18

The Embassy uses an online appointment booking system for the application of passports/ID-cards; this means that you must book an appointment in advance in order to apply for a passport/ID-card.  

Via the online system you can book an appointment.

Embassy opening hours

In the application procedure, the following rules apply:

  • The child must personally appear at the Embassy along with at least one legal guardian.
  • The fee must be paid at the time of submission of the application. Current application fees. 
  • In order for Embassy to be able to process the application all forms required must be submitted.


The following mandatory documents must be brought. Please note that all documents required must in original.

Valid ID child The previous passport of the child.
Valid ID legal guardians The legal guardians must prove their identity with a valid passport or photo ID.
Birth certificate The legal guardians must be able to prove their parenthood through the child’s birth certificate.
Form "Guardian's certificate" 

Filled out form “Guardians's Certificate / Vårdnadshavares medgivande”. The form can be downloaded on the right-hand side of this page.

Both legal guardians must consent to the application of a passport for the child. If only one legal guardian is able to accompany the child to the Embassy for the application, the accompanying guardian must bring the form Guardian's Certificate / Vårdnadshavares medgivande, filled out by the other legal guardian, along with that person’s passport/ID-card. The signature of the legal guardian unable to attend must be witnessed by two people and the consent must not be more than one month old. If the child only has one legal guardian this must be corroborated, for instance through a Swedish personal identification form or a court judgment that has won legal force.

Residence permit  or BRP If the child is resident and registered in the Netherlands a Dutch residence permit(verblijfsdocument) or a BRP extract from the Municipal Personal Records Database(Basisregistratie Personen (BRP)) clearly displaying the child’s Swedish nationality, must be shown. The BRP extract must not be older than one month.
If the child is resident in another country than Sweden or the Netherlands the corresponding residence permit or certificate showing the Swedish citizenship from the official authorities of that country must be shown.
Form “Information for verification of Swedish citizenship” The form “Information for verification of Swedish citizenship” must be filled out before arriving to the Embassy. This form can be downloaded on the right-hand side of this page.
Documents in case of dual citizenship If the child possesses dual citizenship a certificate on this from the official authorities of the other country must be displayed.