Work in Sweden

You must have a work permit in order to work in Sweden. Once you have been granted a permit, it must be entered into your passport before your arrival. Special rules apply for EU/EEA citizens, their relatives and long-term residents in the EU.

What is required to get a work permit?

If you want to work in Sweden, you must complete the application form for employees and the employer completes the Offer of Employment form.

Where do you apply for a residence and work permit?

The main rule is that people who want to work in Sweden must apply for a residence and work permit in the country of origin or another country outside Sweden in which you reside.

Where do I apply?

If you are outside Sweden, you apply electronically on the Migration Agency website:
> Electronic Applications

You can also apply at the Embassy/Consulate in the country where you reside.

You must always append the following documents to your application:

  • Copy of your passport
  • Offer of Employment
  • Receipt showing that you have paid the application fee.

How long is the permit valid?

If the employment is temporary, you will be issued a residence and work permit valid only for the same period, but for a maximum of two years at a time.

After 48 months, you will become eligible for a permanent residence permit.