Getting married in Sweden

A wedding in Sweden can take place either in a church or before a civil authority.

Before the ceremony you need to obtain a marriage licence from the local Swedish Tax Office (Skatteverket) in the area where the wedding is taking place. It is essential to contact the tax office well in advance since you must visit the tax office in person, the procedure can take some time and you need to make sure that you have the correct documents. Your marriage licence is valid for four months from the date of issue.

In order to apply for a marriage licence British citizens living in the UK need to obtain a Certificate of  No Impediment from their local Registry Office. Citizens from other countries need to provide documentation that they are free to marry according to the laws of their home country.

Swedish citizens registered as living abroad but getting married in Sweden must apply for their marriage licence in Sweden.

Marriage in a church

If the parties wish to get married in a church before a vicar, they should contact the vicar well in advance to make the necessary arrangements. If the wedding is to take place in the Church of Sweden, one of the parties must be a member of this denomination or of a closely related denomination abroad.

Marriage before a civil authority in Stockholm

In Stockholm, a marriage can take place either at the Stockholm District Court or at the City Hall. Reservations should be made at least two weeks in advance at the Stockholm Tingsrätt (Stockholm District Court), Vigselavdelningen (Marriage Bureau), Box 8307, S-104 20 Stockholm, Sweden. Telephone from the UK: +46 8 657 50 00

Reservations in the City Hall should be made 2-4 months in advance. Telephone from UK: +46 8 508 293 30.

Marriage before a civil authority in other districts than Stockholm

In these cases inquiries should be directed to the District Court where the ceremony is to take place.

Civil partnership

There are special rules regarding civil partnership. Read more on the Registration of Partnership Act.