Swedish ID-number and Name Registration

A child applicant who was born abroad and has never had a Swedish passport must first be added to the Swedish population register by applying for a Swedish ID-number (samordningsnummer). The application for ID-number can be done at the Embassy and is free of charge. More detailed information about the structure and function of ID-numbers is available from the Swedish Tax Agency . Note that the application for an ID-number can only be done if a passport is also being issued. If the passport application is not submitted within 3 months after the ID- number was obtained, the Embassy will ask the Tax Agency (Skatteverket) to recall the ID-number.  

Please make an appointment for submitting the application (chose "Apply for Swedish passport or id document" as reson for the appointment). Book here

The following is required for the application for an ID-number.

  • The child must be accompanied to the Embassy/Consulate General by at least one of the child's legal guardians.
  • Name registration form RSV 7750, signed by both legal guardians and by the applicant, if she or he is 12 or older.
  • Legal proof of guardianship, if legal custody has been granted to one parent or to another person.
  • Birth certificate.
  • Valid photo ID for the parents, preferably a Swedish passport for the Swedish parent. If only one of the parents submits the application, he/she must bring the other parent´s ID (original or certified copy)  
  • Parent's marriage certificate, if married.
  • If the Swedish parent has double citizenship and born in Sweden: "Certificate Attesting Israeli Citizenship" for the parent
  • If the Swedish parent has double citizenship and born in Israel: If not visited Sweden regularly; A decision for keeping the Swedish citizenship after 22 years old.
  • If the Swedish mother is registred in Sweden or not married and the child is born abroad; A certificate that the mother has carried and given birth to the child (e.g. the release document from the hospital)