Applying for a residence permit to move to a close relative

If you want to move to Sweden to live with a close relative, you need a residence permit. Other rules apply if you or the close relative in Sweden are citizens of an EU/EEA country (other than Sweden).

The quickest and easiest way to apply for a residence permit is to apply online over the Internet. An online application goes directly to the Swedish Migration Board and is given priority, if completed in full.

The Swedish Migration Board website provides information about what is required to obtain a residence permit, as well as the possibility of completing an online application.

Swedish Migration Board website

In most cases you will need to visit an embassy for example to be interviewed, prove your identity and show the originals of the documents you attached to your online application.

You should turn to one of these, if you are lawfully residing in the Schengen area:

The Swedish Embassy in Athen

The Swedish Embassy in Berlin

The Swedish Embassy in Madrid

The Swedish Embassy in Paris

The Swedish Embassy in Rom

The Swedish Embassy in Tallinn does not accept applications or handle migration cases.