Getting Married in Sweden

A wedding in Sweden can take place either in a church or before a civil authority.

Before the ceremony you need to obtain a marriage licence from the local Swedish Tax Office (Skatteverket) in the area where the wedding is taking place. It is essential to contact the tax office well in advance since you must visit the tax office in person. The procedure can take some time and you need to make sure that you have the correct documents. Your marriage licence is valid for four months from the date of issue.

In order to apply for a marriage licence Singaporean citizens living in Singapore need to obtain a Certificate of  No Impediment from their local Registry Office. Citizens from other countries need to provide documentation that they are free to marry according to the laws of their home country.

Swedish citizens registered as living abroad but getting married in Sweden must apply for their marriage licence in Sweden.

Marriage in a church
If the parties wish to get married in a church before a vicar, they should contact the vicar well in advance to make the necessary arrangements. If the wedding is to take place in the Church of Sweden, one of the parties must be a member of this denomination or of a closely related denomination abroad. A marriage in a church belonging to the ' Church of Sweden' is also a legally valid ceremony.

Marriage before a civil authority in Stockholm
In Stockholm, a marriage can take place either at the Stockholm City Hall. See website for further information
> City Hall

Marriage before a civil authority in other districts than Stockholm
In these cases inquiries should be directed to the County Administrative Board in the area where the ceremony is to take place.
> List of County Administrative Boards