Residence permits for students

If you are planning to study in Sweden for longer than three months, you require a residence permit. You must have your residence permit before your arrival in Sweden.

For a stay of less than three months, no residence permit is required. However, some foreign nationals must have visas in order to enter Sweden. In Singapore the Danish Embassy is handling visa applications to Sweden. Read more about visa at the Royal Danish Embassy’s webpage.

Online application for residence permit
Via the Migrations Board’s website, the majority of students in the following two categories can apply online: 

  • Citizens from countries that do not need a visa to Sweden can apply online for a residence permit.
  • Chinese citizens can also apply online, provided they can personally visit the Swedish Embassy in Beijing or Consulate General of Sweden in Shanghai afterwards.

For information regarding applying online please visit the Migration Board’s website:

Applying online is the easiest and quickest way to submit an application for residence permit. It takes approximately 15–30 minutes. When applying online your application is automatically checked for all required information and the enclosure of all documents. The application will be processed in Sweden.

Book an appointment at the Embassy to leave biometric data
From 20 May 2011, all EU countries will introduce residence permit cards, UT cards. It will replace the permit sticker in the passport. Residence permit cards will contain biometric data: photo, fingerprints of two fingers and electronic signature of the permit holder.

To leave your biometric data a personal visit at the Swedish Embassy in Singapore is required. 

  • If you apply online please book an appointment at the Embassy after your application has been registered by the Migration Board, which may take about two weeks. A case number will then be given to you. Do not wait to book an appointment until you have received a decision on your application, since that would delay the delivery of your residence permit card.
  • If you will apply at the Embassy please book an appointment to submit your application and your biometric data. See more information below.

Call the Embassy to make an appointment:    +65  6415 9720
You can submit your application and your biometric data at an appointment during the following opening hours:

Tuesday 09:00-12:00 and 14:00-16:00
Thursday 09:00-12:00 and 14:00-16:00


When you visit the Embassy, please bring your passport in original. Even if you applied online, you should bring the documents in original that you attached to your application.

Application for residence permit at the Embassy
Students that can not apply online should fill in a form and bring the application to the Swedish Embassy together with all supporting documents. The form, No: 105031, can be downloaded from the Migration Board’s website:

Call the Embassy to make an appointment:      +65  6415 9720
You can hand in your application and submit your biometric data at an appointment during the following opening hours:

Tuesday 09:00-12:00 and 14:00-16:00 
Thursday 09:00-12:00 and 14:00-16:00 

Documents to prepare for application
On the Migration Board’s website, you will find detailed information regarding the requirements for the application. In general, the following is required for first time applications:

  • A valid passport, which is valid during the entire study period in Sweden.
  • Your Singaporean IC/permit and if applicable, your student card.
  • Letter of acceptance or certificate (proof) of doctoral students (PhD-studies). You must be able to show that you have been granted university/college admission in Sweden.
  • You must study full-time.
  • Certificate (proof) of comprehensive health insurance, covering the whole period of stay if you are studying for less than one year.
  • A letter from your present university in Singapore, if you are an exchange student.
  • Certificate (proof) of funds to support yourself. You must be able to show that you have enough money to support yourself throughout the whole study period. To prove this, please submit a certificate of your own bank account showing your financial resources, and/or documentation certifying that you have received either a scholarship or student benefits from your country of origin/domicile. You are required to show that you will have SEK 7,300/month at your disposal for 10 months/year.

The application fee for a residence permit is currently SEK 1 000.

  • If you apply online the fee is paid with credit card.
  • If you apply at the Embassy, you pay with cash or cheque.
  • If your application is rejected, the fee will not be refunded.

Residence Permit Card, UT Card
After you have applied, the decision will be made by the Swedish Migration Board. When your biometric data is submitted and the decision is made, your residence permit card will be produced in Sweden. The card will be sent to the Swedish Embassy you have indicated in your application. The delivery of the recidence permit card might take up to three weeks.

A residence permit card is only proof of residence permit. It can not be used as ID card or travel document.

Please note
  • Please notice that it is important that the application is made well in advance of the commencement of your studies, since the Migration Board needs almost three months to process your application for residence permit.
  • For requirements for your application, please refer to the The Swedish Migration Board.
  • Remember to book an appointment at the Swedish Embassy to leave your biometric data.
  • It is important for students who stay in Sweden for a period shorter than one year to have a comprehensive health insurance that covers the whole period of stay.
  • The residence permit is given for study purpose only and within the time frame given by the university.
  • Please do not confirm your air ticket until a decision is taken.

 For more information also read the FAQ regarding resident permits for students.