Frequently asked questions

Here you can find some of the most common questions asked by applicants. If you can't find the answers to your questions below, you can contact the Consulate’s migration section.

1. Will I or my accompanying family member have to do an interview at the Consulate?
Normally not. If the Migration Agency wants more information you will be contacted via telephone or e-mail.

2. My wife/husband/child is planning to accompany me to Sweden and stay with me while I am working there. How should they apply?
They should apply as co-applicants. They can apply at the same time as you, if you apply online on the website of the Migration Agency. If they don’t apply at the same time as you they should hand in their applications in paper form at the Consulate.

3. How do I pay the application fee?
If you apply online, you pay the application fee directly online with a VISA or Master Card. The Consulate accepts payment by cash or credit card.

4. Will my application be sent to the Migration Agency in Sweden?
Yes. All applications for work permits, including co-applying family member’s applications will be sent to the Migration Agency and the decision will be made in Sweden.

5. Must I apply personally at the Consulate?
If you don’t apply online, you must hand in your application in person at the Consulate. If you apply online on the Migration Agency's website, you must still come to the Consulate to identify yourself and leave your biometrics.

6. When can I get my residence permit?
If your application is granted and you already have been to the Consulate for the biometrics, it usually takes up to four weeks until you can come to the Consulate to collect your permit card.

7. Am I supposed to make an appointment with you before I come to the Consulate to apply?
No appointment is required if you want to make an application. The opening hours for the Migration Section of the Consulate are:

Monday-Friday 09.00-11.00 a.m.
The Consulate is closed on some Swedish and Chinese public holidays. These will be published on the website of the Consulate.

8. What kind of documents do I need to prepare when I come to collect my residence permit?
You should bring your passport when you come to collect your residence permit card.

9. Where can I get an application form? What kind of documents do I need to prepare when I apply?
You can download the forms from the Consulate´s website, the Migration Agency's website:, or pick them up at the Consulate.

For information on what documents are needed see the specific information under Required documents to the left.

10. How many copies should I provide of each document?
If you apply online, you simply scan all documents while applying. If you apply on paper form you must provide the original document, including one copy of the identity page of the passport and one completed and signed application form. You must then also provide one photo for your application.

11. Can I get my application fee back if my application is refused?
If your application is refused, the fee will not be refunded.

12. Is it possible to apply for a residence permit at the Norwegian Consulate in Guangzhou?
No. The Norwegian Consulate in Guangzhou only handles applications for short-term Schengen visas.

13. Can I visit other European countries using my residence permit card?
Yes, you can make trips to other countries within Schengen, but only for travelling purposes, not for the purpose of settling down.

14. Do I have to make an appointment for leaving biometrics at the Consulate?
No, you don’t need to make an appointment for leaving biometrics. You can visit the Consulate Monday-Friday 09.00-11.00. You only need to bring your passport when you come.

Read more frequently asked questions on the Swedish Migration Agency´s website.

Swedish Migration Agency´s website