Frequently asked questions

Here you can find some of the most common questions asked by applicants. If you can't find the answers to your questions below, you can contact the Consulate’s migration section.

1. How long do I have to wait until I can come for an interview?

If you apply online, you need to wait for the Migration Agency to send you an e-mail asking you to make an appointment for an interview. Since it depends on which unit of the Migration Agency that is in charge of your application, the handling time also varies from case to case and sometimes it takes months before you receive the e-mail to book an interview. You can’t make an appointment at the Consulate before you receive this e-mail, since the Migration Agency sends the case to us at the same time as they send you the e-mail. Please email or call us at the Consulate in order to book an appointment.

If you hand in your application on paper form we will book a time for interview when you submit your application. Usually you will be able to come for an interview within 2 months from the day that you applied.

2. What happens after the interview?

After you have visited the Consulate for an interview your case will be sent to the Migration Agency, since they will continue the handling of your application and make a decision. If you have any questions after the interview, you should therefore contact the Migration Agency in Sweden directly.

3. How long do I have to wait for a decision?

For information on the present waiting time please see information from the Migration Agency:

4. How do I get informed about the decision?

If you have given your partner living in Sweden a power of attorney the decision will get sent to him/her who will then inform you about the decision. If you want to know whether your card has reached the Consulate, you can contact us by email: If you get a refusal and haven’t given your partner a power of attorney, the Consulate will call you to inform you about the refusal.

5. When can I get my residence permit?

If your application is granted and you already have been to the Consulate for the biometrics it usually takes up to four weeks from the day the decision was made until you can come to the Consulate to collect your residence permit card. For more information regarding residence permits, please see information on the Migration Agency’s website:

6. Am I supposed to make an appointment with you before I come to the Consulate to apply?

No appointment is required if you want to submit an application. The opening hours for the Migration Section of the Consulate are: Monday-Friday 09.00-11.00 a.m. 

The Consulate is closed on some Swedish and Chinese public holidays. These will be published on the website of the Consulate.

7. What kind of documents do I need to prepare when I come to collect my residence permit?

You should bring your passport when you come to collect your residence permit card.

8. Where can I get an application form? What kind of documents do I need to prepare when I apply?

You can download the forms from the Consulate´s website, the Migration Agency's website:, or pick them up at the Consulate.

For information on what documents are needed see the specific information under Required documents to the left.

9. How many copies should I provide of each document?

If you apply online, you simply scan all documents while applying and bring all the originals of the scanned documents (in general all certificates and passport, if the Migration Agency doesn’t tell you to bring other documents). If you apply on paper form you must provide the original document, including one copy of the identity page of the passport and one completed and signed application form. You must then also provide one photo for your application. For more information, please see Required documents in the menu to the left.

10. Can I get my application fee back if my application is refused?

If your application is refused, the fee will not be refunded.

11. Is it possible to apply for a residence permit at the Norwegian Consulate in Guangzhou?

No. The Norwegian Consulate in Guangzhou only handles applications for
short-term Schengen visas.

12. Can I visit other European countries using my residence permit card?

Yes, you can make trips to other countries within Schengen, but only for travelling purposes, not for the purpose of settling down.

Read more frequently asked questions on the Swedish Migration Agency website.

Swedish Migration Agency website