Visiting relatives and friends – extra documents
If you apply for a visa to visit relatives and friends, you need the documents listed below.
The forms must be completed either in Swedish or in English. Documents issued by the authorities in your country of origin are to be submitted together with a translation in Swedish or English by an authorised translator.
You must have:
- The documents required by all visa applicants. Read more under ‘Required documents’.
Proof of relationship with the friend/relative:
- When visiting relatives you must hand in a notary certificate of family relationship with the inviter, legalized by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA).
- When visiting a friend you can prove your relationship with the inviter by handing in original documents, original pictures etc.
- Copy of Hukou/Household Register with photocopies of all pages (no translation needed)
Documents concerning the relative or friend in Sweden
You must also attach documents concerning the relative or friend you plan to visit in Sweden.
You must have:
- Form no. 241011: Invitation – If you wish to invite a relative or friend to visit you. You can submit a copy of the invitation form but it must be completed and signed by the relative or friend in Sweden who invites you.
- A photocopy of the identity page of the inviter’s passport.
- Civic registration/family certificate (personbevis) for the relative/friend in Sweden. Such a document for the purpose of an invitation may be ordered from the Swedish Tax Agency and should not be more than three months old.
- If the relative/friend lives in China but invites the applicant to travel together to Sweden you also need to submit:
- Signed guarantee letter
- A copy of the inviter’s Chinese residence permit
- Proof of regular income of the inviter (bank account statement for the past three months)
- Proof of residence in Sweden or an invitation to stay with close family.
- And – if the relative/friend will be paying for your support in Sweden – his/her pay slips, pension statement or bank account statement for the past three months.
If an applicant is under 18 years old, additional documents should be submitted as described under ‘Minors’ in the menu on the left.