Required documents

If your visa application is to be considered, you must have the documents listed below. A number of other documents are also required, depending on what type of visit you are planning.

Check which additional documents you need in the menu on the left, under the heading for the type of visit you wish to make.

The forms must be completed either in Swedish or in English. An authorized English translation must be attached to any document in Chinese.

You must have:

A completed and signed application form no. 119031, Application for Schengen Visa.

  • A passport or some other valid travel document. The passport shall be signed by the holder.

The passport must:

- be valid for at least three months after your departure from the Schengen area

- contain at least two empty pages

- have been issued during the past ten years

  • If a new passport has been issued within the last year you shall bring and show your old passport and submit copies of the identity page and pages with visas and stamps
  • Copy of Chinese identity card
  • Individual medical insurance covering the cost of emergency treatment and transport home for medical reasons. Read more under ‘Medical travel insurance’.
  • Enough money to support yourself during your stay. In general, Sweden requires you to have SEK 450 per day/person. The required amount may be less if for instance you have paid for board and lodging in advance or live with friends or relatives. The Consulate requires proof that you can support yourself, e.g. in the form of a statement of account from your bank or a wage specification for the past 3 months. If the person who is inviting you to Sweden will be paying for your support, you must show in the same way that he/she has enough money to do so. 
  • A flight reservation for showing your travel route and return to China. Please note that we recommend that the ticket should be bought first after your visa has been issued (no need for original, and only requires of ADS and Tourist visit).
  • For employees the following documents are

- A sealed copy of the business license of the employing company

- A letter from the employer (in English, or in Chinese with English translation) on official paper with stamp, signature and date. The letter  must clearly state: the address, telephone and fax numbers of the employing company; the name and position in the employing company of the countersigning officer, the name of the applicant, position, salary and years of service and approval for leave or absence.

For retired persons the following documents are required:

- Proof of pension or other regular income

For unemployed adults the following documents are required:

If married:

- A letter of employment and income of the spouse

- A Notary Certificate of marriage, legalized by the MFA (Ministry of Foreign Affairs).

If single/divorced/widower:

- Any other proof of regular income

For students the following documents are required:

- A copy of the applicant’s student card

- An original letter from the school

  • Documents that are specifically associated with the
    type of visit you are planning. Check under the relevant heading in the menu on
    the left.

If an applicant is under 18 years old, additional documents should be submitted as described under ‘Minors’ in the menu on the left.