Frequently asked questions

Here you can find some of the most common questions asked by applicants. If you can't find the answers to your questions below, you can contact the Sweden Visa Application Centre.

1. What are the detailed requirements for the "proof of your financial means" when an applicant applies for a visa due to business reasons?
It is the financially responsible party that should provide the guarantee letter (either in an invitation letter or in an introduction letter from the Chinese company, and should include signature, and official stamp, the address, telephone number, fax number).

2. What are the detailed requirements for the "proof of your financial means" when an applicant applies for a visa due to family reasons?
For your proof of solvency you should provide a bank statement from the last three to six months, no deposits. According to the Schengen regulation the applicants should have at least 450 SEK/day at their disposal during their stay in Sweden.

3. What are the detailed requirements regarding insurance?
Persons who require a visa for entry into the Schengen area shall normally be expected to be in possession of travel and medical insurance. To the application should be submitted a letter or insurance sheet covering the following information: relevant insurance covering the journey in the Schengen area, valid for the entire duration of the stay, covering at least €30,000 and covering the cost of any emergency medical treatment and repatriation for medical reasons. Any insurance company may issue such insurance.

4. Must I apply personally?
Yes. For a visa application, a holder of an ordinary passport is required to apply in person.

5. When can I get my visa?
A short term visa normally takes about 15 calendar days to process.

For further enquiries concerning visas please e-mail: or call the help line, 0086-21-65965823.

6. Am I supposed to make an appointment before I come to the Visa Application Centre?
No appointment is required if you want to submit an application, but you can make an appointment online via the Swedish Visa Application Centre´s appointment system or by phone to their call center. The opening hours for the Swedish Visa Application Centre are: Monday-Friday 08.00-15.00 a.m. The Visa Application Centre is closed on some Swedish and Chinese public holidays.

7. What kind of documents do I need to prepare when I come to pick up my passport?
You should show your receipt and ID card when you pick up your own passport. If you are unable to come personally you can authorize somebody else to pick it up for you. The trustee should show us his/her original ID card and submit a copy of his/her ID card as well as an authorization letter when picking up your passport/decision. The authorization letter can be written in either English or Chinese, and it should be signed by the applicant and have his or her contact information.

8. Where can I get an application form? What kind of documents do I need to prepare when I apply?
You can download the forms from the Swedish Migration Agency's website:

or you can pick them up at the Sweden Visa Application Centre. Please go to

for enquiries on which documents are required for each application.

9. Can I get my visa fee back if my application is refused?
If your application is refused, the fee will not be refunded.

10. Do I have the right to appeal in case my application is refused?
Yes, it is possible to appeal against a decision of refusal on a Schengen visa. This does not apply to national visas. At the same time, the decision to refuse an application for an entry visa will require justification. This means that you will get information in the decision as to why your application was refused. If you received a refusal you are not satisfied with, you can submit a written appeal no later than 3 weeks from the day you received the refusal.

11. Check your-application-service.

Please click on the link below in order to check your visa, residence, work and study permit.

Find more frequently asked questions about visa applications on the Swedish Migration Agency website.

Swedish Migration Agency website