Working as an Employee in Sweden

If you are a citizen of a country which is not a member of the European Union (EU) and wish to work in Sweden your residence/work permit must have been approved before entering the country.

Please, note that the application must be submitted in two complete sets!

If you are granted a residence permit, the decision will be sent to the embassy. If you have not previously been photographed and had your fingerprints taken, you will need to visit the embassy to do so. Once the residence card is ready, the Embassy will send the card to you.

IMPORTANT: The permit must have been approved before your arrival in Sweden.

The residence card should be presented with a valid passport document when you enter Sweden.

Please submit 2 copies of the following documents:

  • Application by Employee (form #149011), completed, signed and dated, and including detailed contact information.

  • Notarized copies of the pages of your passport that show your identity and the validity of your passport. Also include copies of any other permits in your passport.

  • Notarized copy of US Alien Registration Card or other valid resident visa (type A, E, F, G, H, I, J, K, L, O, or R), if applicable.

  • Written offer of employment in Sweden. Your employer can download the Offer of Employment form from the Migration Agency website:

  • Application fee, in the form of a money order or certified bank check, payable to the Consulate General of Sweden.

How much does it cost?

The non-refundable application fee is $235 for first time applicants.

How do I submit my application?

Applications with all required documents may be delivered in person during visiting hours or mailed directly to the following address:

Consulate General of Sweden
505 Sansome Street, Suite 1010
San Francisco, CA 94111

Please note that you might be requested to provide additional documentation.

Processing your application

Once all the documents have been received your case will be forwarded to the Swedish Migration Agency.

May my family come with me?

Your family, i.e., spouse/cohabitant and children under 18, can obtain residence permits for the same period as you.

The co-application must be completed and submitted with the primary application.  Please refer to the section on co-application for detailed instructions.