Visiting Researchers

This applies to individuals who are a citizen of a country which is not a member of the European Union (EU) and wish to work in Sweden your residence/work permit must have been approved before you enter Sweden.

Please, note that the application must be submitted in two complete sets!

If you are granted a residence permit, the decision will be sent to the embassy. If you have not previously been photographed and had your fingerprints taken, you will need to visit the embassy to do so. Once the residence card is ready, the embassy will send the card to you.

IMPORTANT: The permit must have been approved before your arrival in Sweden.

The residence card should be presented together with a valid passport document when you enter Sweden.

Please submit 2 copies of the following documents:

  • Application by Visiting Researcher (form #127011), completed, signed and dated, including detailed contact information.

  • Notarized copies of the pages of your passport that show your identity and the validity of your passport. Also include copies of any other permits in your passport.

  • Notarized copy of US Alien Registration Card or other valid resident visa (type A, E, F, G, H, I, J, K, L, O, or R), if applicable.

  • Written hosting agreement form signed by both yourself and the research organisation (institute, organisation, company, etc.) where and with whom you will be working.

  • Application fee, in the form of one money order or certified bank check, payable to the Consulate General of Sweden.

How much does it cost?

The non-refundable application fee is $120.

How do I submit my application?

Applications with all required documents may be delivered in person during visiting hours or mailed directly to the following address:

Consulate General of Sweden
505 Sansome Street, Suite 1010
San Francisco, CA 94111

Due to the large number of applications, the Consulate will NOT be able to confirm receipt of your documents. If you would like acknowledgement that your application has been received, please use registered mail or a delivery service such as FedEx that enables you to track packages online.

Please note that you might be requested to provide additional documentation.

Who decides my case?

The Embassy sends your application to the Migration Board in Sweden, which takes permit decisions. You will be notified of the decision by the embassy or consulate to which you applied.

How long will I have to wait for a decision?

To be sure of obtaining your permit in time, you should present your application at least 6-8 weeks prior to your departure for Sweden.

How long is a permit valid?

The Migration Agency normally grants permits for a year at a time or for the duration of the work offer if it is 12 months or less.

May my family come with me?

Your family, i.e. spouse/cohabitant and children under 18, can obtain residence permits for the same period as you.

The co-application must be completed and submitted with the primary application. Please refer to the section on co-application for detailed instructions.