Starting Your Own Business in Sweden

This applies to individuals who are a citizen of a country which is not a member of the European Union (EU) and wish to start a business in Sweden.

Please, note that the application must be submitted in two complete sets!

If you are granted a residence permit, the decision will be sent to the Embassy. If you have not previously been photographed and had your fingerprints taken, you will need to visit the Embassy to do so. Once the residence card is ready, the embassy will send the card to you.

IMPORTANT: The permit must have been approved before your arrival in Sweden.

The residence card should be presented together with a valid passport document when you enter Sweden. 

Please submit 2 copies of the following documents:

  • Application by Self-Employed Person (form #125011), completed, signed and dated, and including detailed contact information.

  • Notarized copies of the pages of your passport that show your identity and the validity of your passport. Also include copies of any other permits in your passport.

  • Notarized copy of US Alien Registration Card or other valid resident visa (type A, E, F, G, H, I, J, K, L, O, or R), if applicable.

  • Documentation proving that you have access to the capital needed to establish or purchase a company.

  • Documentation proving that you have financial resources to support yourself and your family for at least a year in Sweden.

  • Detailed business plan with market forecast, a profit and liquidity budget, and a properly budgeted balance sheet. You must also give details of your customer references, banking connections, experience in the field concerned, and any training or education you may have received. If you have purchased an existing company, you must enclose the two most recent annual reports with your application.

  • Application fee, in the form of one money order or certified bank check, payable to the Consulate General of Sweden 


How much does it cost?
The non-refundable application fee is $235.

How do I submit my application?

Applications with all required documents may be delivered in person during visiting hours or mailed directly to the following address:

Consulate General of Sweden
505 Sansome Street, Suite 1010
San Francisco, CA 94111

 Due to the large number of applications, the embassy will NOT be able to confirm receipt of your documents. If you would like acknowledgement that your application has been received, please use registered mail or a delivery service such as FedEx that enables you to track packages online.

Please note that you might be requested to provide additional documentation.

Processing your application

Once all the documents have been received your case will be forwarded to the Swedish Migration Agency. 

A commercial evaluation is needed in order to establish that your business plans are realistic. In addition, it must be determined whether your business can be expected to achieve satisfactory profitability.

If you enclose an evaluation of your business plans from an approved/authorized accountant in Sweden your decision may come through sooner. This document should clearly state whether the plans are realistic and whether the company can be expected to make a reasonable profit.

May my family come with me?

Your family, i.e. spouse/cohabitant and children under 18, can obtain residence permits for the same period as you.

The co-application must be completed and submitted with the primary application. Please refer to the section on co-application for detailed instructions.