Spouses, Cohabitants and Children of Primary Applicants

This applies to spouses/cohabitants and unmarried children (under 18) of employees, researchers, athletes, au pairs or self-employed persons are eligible to co-apply for residence permits. This application must be submitted with the primary application.

Please, note that the application must be submitted in two complete sets!

If you are granted a residence permit, the decision will be sent to the embassy. If you have not previously been photographed and had your fingerprints taken, you will need to visit the embassy to do so. Once the residence card is ready, the embassy will send the card to you.

IMPORTANT: The permit must have been approved before your arrival in Sweden.

The residence card should be presented together with a valid passport document when you enter Sweden.

Please submit 2 copies of the following documents:

  • Application by Co-Applicant (form#133011) or 2 copies of Application by Child under 18 (form#163011), completed, signed and dated, including detailed contact information.

  • Notarized copies of the pages of your passport that show your identity and the validity of your passport. Also include copies of any other permits in your passport.

  • Notarized copy of U.S. Alien Registration Card or other valid resident visa (type A, E, F, G, H, I, J, K, L, O, or R), if applicable.

  • Application fee, in the form of one money order or certified bank check, payable to the Consulate General of Sweden.  

How much does it cost?

A non-refundable application fee of $120 for adults or $60 for children under 18.

How do I submit my application?

Applications with all required documents may be delivered in person during visiting hours or mailed directly to the following address:

Consulate General of Sweden
505 Sansome Street, Suite 1010
San Francisco, CA 94111

Due to the large number of applications, the Consulate will NOT be able to confirm receipt of your documents. If you would like acknowledgement that your application has been received, please use registered mail or a delivery service such as FedEx that enables you to track packages online.

Please note that you might be requested to provide additional documentation.

How long does it take?

If submitted at the same time, the co-application will be processed along with the primary application.

Processing your application

When all the documents have been received, your case will be forwarded to the Swedish Migration Board.