Most people have to pay a fee when applying for a residence permit to move to a close relative in Sweden. Please note that the application fee is non-refundable.
- Residence permit based on family or personal connection for applicants over 18 years: $180
- Residence permit based on family or personal connection for applicants under 18 years: $90
How to pay
If you are applying online, you pay with a credit card or a bank card on the web.
If you are applying on a paper form, the application fee should be paid in the form of one money order or certified bank check, payable to the Consulate General of Sweden. If you apply in person the fee can also be paid in cash at the time of application.
The following persons can apply for a residence permit without having to pay a fee:
- Husbands, wives, registered partners or common-law spouses (cohabitees) and children under the age of 18 who are applying for a residence permit on the grounds of family ties to a foreign citizen who has received a residence permit as a refugee, as a person in need of protection or due to particularly distressing circumstances. Parents and siblings of children in need of protection and living in Sweden are not covered by the exemptions.
- Family members of EU/EEA citizens. (Please note that Swedes do not count as EU citizens in this context.)
- Citizens of Switzerland and their family members