Basic facts

If you wish to move to Sweden to live with a close relative, you need to apply for a residence permit. The residence permit must be approved before you enter Sweden. Other rules apply to citizens of an EU/EEA country other than Sweden.

Close relatives are defined as:

  • Anyone who is, or is to become, a husband/wife, registered partner or common-law spouse (cohabitee)
  • Children under 18 and their parents.

Other relatives may only be granted a residence permit in exceptional cases.

It is the Swedish Migration Agency that considers your right to a residence permit. For a full description of what rules apply, please visit the Swedish Migration Agency's website.

Swedish Migration Agency

You will be informed of the decision in your case by your relative in Sweden if you have authorised him or her to represent you. Otherwise you will be informed of the decision by the Swedish Embassy or Consulate.

EU/EEA citizens
Please visit the Swedish Migration Agency's website for information about what rules and requirements applies for EU citizens. 

Swedish Migration Agency 

Residence permit card

If you are granted a residence permit you will receive a residence permit card. The card proves that you have permission to reside in Sweden and contains information such as your fingerprints and photograph.

Get photographed and fingerprinted
Everyone who is receiving a residence permit card need to be photographed. Children under the age of six are not required to provide their fingerprints. Those who do not have the physical ability, for example due to a permanent injury to the fingers, are also not required to provide fingerprints. The fingerprints and photograph are stored only on the card's chip and are not stored anywhere else. For this reason, it is necessary to be fingerprinted and photographed each time you need a new residence permit card. There is no cost for the card other than the application fee for the residence permit.

If you are in the United States

If you are required to have a visa in order to travel to Swedenexternal link, opens in new window, you should visit the Swedish Embassy in Washington DC in order to be photographed and fingerprinted. Please contact the Embassy directly for information on how to get photographed and fingereprinted.

If you are not required to have a visa to travel to Sweden, you can be photographed and fingerprinted in Sweden. You should visit an office of the Swedish Migration Agency as soon as possible after you have received a residence permit and have arrived in Sweden