Residence Permits Based on a close relative

If you want to move to Sweden to live with a close relative, you need to apply for a residence permit. Residence permits based on a close relative can be mailed directly to the Consulate General of Sweden in San Francisco. You can also apply for a residence permit online on the Swedish Migration Agency's website. 


The quickest and easiest way to apply for a residence permit is to apply online. An online application goes directly to the Swedish Migration Agency and is given priority. 
Swedish Migration Agency web application

If you cannot or do not want to apply online, you can submit an application in person or by mail to the Swedish Consulate General in San Francisco. 

Rules and required documents

Read about the rules, which documents are required and how to apply step by step in the menu on the left.

Other rules apply if you or the close relative in Sweden are citizens of an EU/EEA country (other than Sweden). A close relative may for instance be a husband or wife, a common law spouse or a child (a minor).