Residence Permit to Visit Sweden for More Than Three Months

This applies to individuals who intends to visit Sweden for more than 3 months. A residence permit for a visit can be issued for no longer than one year.

An application for a residence permit to visit Sweden can be mailed to the Consulate General of Sweden in San Francisco or delivered in person during visiting hours.

Please note that the application must be submitted in two complete sets!

If you are granted a residence permit, the decision will be sent to the embassy. If you have not previously been photographed and had your fingerprints taken, you will need to visit the embassy to do so. Once the residence card is ready, the embassy will send the card to you.

IMPORTANT: The permit must have been approved before your arrival in Sweden.

The residence card should be presented together with a valid passport document when you enter Sweden.

Please submit 2 copies of the following documents:

• Residence Permit for visitor’s application form (#165011) or 2 copies of Application for Child under 18 (#167011), completed, signed and dated, including detailed contact information.

• Appendix D: Family Details Appendix for Applicants (form #239011)

• Notarized copies of the pages of your passport that show your identity and the validity of your passport. Also include copies of any other permits in your passport.

• Bank statement.

• Return ticket.

• A confirmation letter from your insurance company stating clearly that you have international insurance for

- any emergency medical expenses
- emergency hospital treatment
- repatriation for medical reasons

Minimum coverage must be EUR 30,000 (equivalent USD 50,000) and the coverage has to be valid for the entire duration of the trip. If your insurance company cannot provide such a letter, you must find an international insurance that does.

Please note that an insurance card is not sufficient proof of coverage. You must have proof of the above items.

• Application fee of $120 for adults and $60 for children under 18, in the form of one money order or certified bank check, payable to the Consulate General of Sweden.

• Additional document(s) depending on reason to visit. Please contact the Consulate for more information.


How much does it cost?
A non-refundable application fee of $120 for adults and $60 for children under 18.

How do I submit my application?
Applications with all required documents may be delivered in person during visiting hours or mailed directly to the following address:

Consulate General of Sweden
505 Sansome Street, Suite 1010
San Francisco, CA 94111

Due to the large number of applications, the Consulate will NOT be able to confirm receipt of your documents. If you would like acknowledgement that your application has been received, please use registered mail or a delivery service such as FedEx that enables you to track packages online.

Please note that you might be requested to provide additional documentation.

How long does it take?
An estimated time of 6-8 months is usually required to process your application.
Due to the current high volume of applications there is a very long waiting period for interviews in Sweden which might delay the process. The Consulate has no means of speeding up this process.

Processing your application
After your documents have been examined by a consular officer, you will be invited for an interview.

Your Swedish family member/relation will be interviewed in Sweden. If your Swedish family member or relation resides in the U.S., you will be interviewed together.

As soon as all the documents have been received your case will be forwarded to the Swedish Migration Agency.