Resident Permits for Students

U.S. citizens planning to study in Sweden for more than three months will need a residence permit. For a stay of less than three months, no residence permit is required. However, foreign nationals of certain countries must obtain visas in order to enter Sweden.

> The Swedish Ministry for Foreign Affairs maintains a list of countries whose citizens must obtain a visa in order to enter Sweden.

If you are applying for a residence permit to study at a University or a College you can apply online.

Online application on the Swedish Migration Agency website

You may also submit your application to the Consulate General of Sweden in San Francisco. If you are an exchange student (undergraduate level only), or will be studying at a high school or folk high school - "folkhögskola", please send your application directly to the Consulate.

Applications with all required documents may be delivered in person during visiting hours or sent directly to the following address:

Consulate General of Sweden
505 Sansome Street, Suite 1010
San Francisco, CA 94111

Please note that when filing the application at the Consulate General in San Francisco, the money order or certified check (personal checks are not accepted) should be made payable to the Consulate General of Sweden. Applicants applying in person may also pay the fee in cash.

Rules and required documents

To find out which rules apply, which documents are required and how you apply, look in the menu on the left.

If you are interested in studying at university/college level in Sweden, you can find a full range of information on the Study in Sweden website.

Study in Sweden