Residence Permit Based on Family or Personal Connection

If you are a citizen of a country which is not a member of the European Union (EU) and wish to move to Sweden to live with a Swedish resident, you must have a residence permit granted before you enter Sweden.

An application for a residence permit can be filed online, or at the closest Consulate of Sweden (in person), or at the Embassy of Sweden in Ottawa (in person). For faster processing, please apply online. For information about the application process, including application forms, please visit the Swedish Migration Agency.

Biometric information
The residence permit will be in form of a residence permit card. The card will include biometric information such as photo, fingerprints and electronic signature.

Canadian citizens (and other nationalities not requiring an entry visa to Sweden) should submit the biometrics at one of the Migration Board Offices upon arrival in Sweden.

Nationalities requiring an entry visa should submit biometrics at the Embassy of Sweden in Ottawa. This can be done at the time of application or at any time during the permit processing time. Visiting hours for biometrics is Monday-Thursday 9-12. No biometrics on Fridays.

Application fee
The application fee is payable at the time of application and is non-refundable. See Fee list.

Updated warning: Avoid people selling services for family reunification

The Swedish Ministry for Foreign Affairs has been informed that there might be individuals falsely representing the Swedish Migration Agency or the Embassy in certain countries. These individuals are claiming that it is possible e.g. through payment, to obtain an earlier appointment for an interview at the Embassy or that the applicants needs to pay an additional fee for booking an interview at a specific Embassy - sometimes even using official letterheads and pretending to be officials. Please note that the Swedish Embassies and Consulates General have nothing to do with any individuals who offer services for payment. All appointments for interviews for family reunification are made through the Embassies and are free of charge.  Please see Swedish Migration Agency webpage for more information.

Please contact the Embassy if you have any information that people are falsely representing Swedish authorities or if you suspect that somebody is trying to sell you services for additional charges.