Canada-Sweden Youth Exchange Program

  • leap_of_joy

    Leap of joy. Photo: Sara Ingman/

Have you dreamed of spending a year living and working in Sweden? Sweden has an agreement with Canada that lets you do just that. The program is aimed at Canadian citizens between 18 and 30 years old.

A fixed number of persons per calendar year can obtain a work and residence permit for a maximum of 12 months. The permits are not renewable and may only be used once per individual. You should not enter Sweden until your application has been approved.


An application for a work and residence permit is filed in person at the closest Consulate of Sweden or at the Embassy of Sweden in Ottawa. For information about the application process and the required documents, including application form, please visit the Swedish Migration Board's information on this youth exchange program.

Biometric information

The work-and residence permit will be in the form of a residence permit card. The card will include biometric information (photo, fingerprints and electronic signature). Canadian citizens should submit the biometrics at one of the Migration Board Offices after arrival in Sweden.

Processing time

Normal processing time is up to four months. Please note that you should not enter Sweden until your application has been approved.

Application fee

The application fee is payable at the time of application and is non-refundable. See Fee list.