Renewal of Passport for Children under 18
All passport applicants must visit the Embassy of Sweden in Ottawa to be digitally photographed and fingerprinted on site at the time of the application. Children under 6 years of age are exempt from fingerprints. Note that passports for children under the age of 12 are valid for 3 years. Appointments must be booked in advance by calling 613 244 8200.
Applicants under 18 must be accompanied by a legal guardian.
The following is required at the time of application. All documents must be originals.
- Completed form "Information for verification of Swedish citizenship", see margin.
- Previous passport, valid or expired. If lost, please provide police report.
- A valid ID-card, if the child has this, and the passport is expired or lost
- Birth certificate, if the child has never lived in Sweden, showing both parents' names
- Personbevis, if the child has lived in Sweden, showing both parents' names
- Original documentation proving Canadian status (valid visa or Permanent Resident Card) or Canadian citizenship certificate (not the card)
If the applicant became a Canadian citizen before July 1, 2001, documentation from the Swedish Migration Board must be provided to certify that he/she has regained Swedish citizenship
- Written consent of both parents or legal guardians on a separate consent form, Guardian's consent form, see margin. If legal custody has been granted to one parent or to another person, legal proof of guardianship must be submitted with the application.
- Passports or other valid photo ID, with a clearly visible signature, of both legal guardians
- Application fee is payable in cash, Visa or MasterCard at the time of application
The new passport is normally ready in approximately 1-3 weeks from the time of application. It must be picked up in person by a legal guardian or the applicant, if he or she is 15 or older and has been permitted by the legal guardian to do so at the time of application and it has been duly noted. The applicant will have to present photo ID at the time of pick up. The passport may be picked up at the Embassy in Ottawa or at any Swedish Consulate in Canada (at an additional cost).
Please note that it is the applicant's responsibility of prove his/her Swedish citizenship and to present all the requested documents.
Contact the Embassy for an appointment :