Renewal of Passport for Adults 18 or Older

All passport applicants must apply in person at the Embassy of Sweden in Ottawa in order to be digitally photographed and fingerprinted. Appointments must be booked in advance.

A change of name must be registered with the Swedish Tax Authority (Skatteverket) before applying for a new passport. Passports issued are based on the current information in the Population registry. For more information about change of name, click here.

The following is required at the time of application. All supporting documents must be originals or notarized copies.

  • Completed form "Information for verification of Swedish citizenship", see margin

  • Passport, valid or expired

  • Valid photo identification with your signature if the passport has expired

  • Police report if your passport is lost

  • "Personbevis", not older than one month, if you have lived in Sweden, showing the time period you lived there and as well as your citizenship

  • If you were born outside Sweden to a Swedish parent and you have not regularly visited Sweden nor lived there, a letter from Migrationsverket (the Swedish Migration Agency) or a Swedish Embassy, stating that you can keep your Swedish citizenship after your 22nd birthday.

  • Application fee is payable in cash, Visa or MasterCard at the time of application.

  • Proof of status in Canada: visitor's record (or stamp in passport), permit (temporary, work or study), Permanent Residence Card (valied or expired), Canadian citizenship certificate (not the citizenship card) or Swedish citizenship certificate if you have regained your Swedish Citizenship after July 1, 2001.

Applicants are requested to book an appointment by telephone: 613 244 8200 or by e-mail:

Note that it is up to the applicant to prove his/her Swedish citizenship and to obtain all required documents.