Residence and Work Permits

All foreign nationals – including U.S. citizens – who plan to move to Sweden or stay in Sweden for more than 90 days need to obtain a residence permit before entering the country. 

As of December 1, 2015, the Consulate General of Sweden in New York will no longer accept applications for residence permits for Sweden, and will no longer be conducting any immigration interviews.

Until December 1, 2015, applicants residing in New York, New Jersey or Connecticut, may submit applications for residence or work permits with all required documents (see below) in person during visiting hours or sent directly to the following address:

Consulate General of Sweden
445 Park Avenue, 19th floor
New York, NY 10022

Please note that when submitting the application to the Consulate General in New York, the money order/certified check (personal checks are not accepted) should be made payable to the Consulate General of Sweden, and not to the Embassy of Sweden. Applicants applying in person may also pay the fee by credit/debit card or in cash.

Application Process
Most applicants can also choose to apply online for a residence permit for studies, or to apply for a residence permit to move to, or with, a Swedish citizen/resident in/to Sweden, or for a work permit. Processing time for online applications is generally shorter. Interviews in connection with online applications may be conducted at several Swedish consulates in the U.S., in addition to at the Embassy of Sweden in Washington DC, but as of December 1, 2015, not at the Consulate General in New York.

Required Documents
Requirements differ for students, employees, visiting researchers and those moving to Sweden to live with a family member or based on a personal connection. The required documents, and processing times, are listed on the website of the Embassy of Sweden in Washington DC under the heading "Work & Live in Sweden".

UT cards - Residence Permit Cards
On May 20, 2011, an EU regulation entered into force in Sweden which means that residence permit cards (so-called UT cards) replaced the permit stickers in passports. You are now required to visit the Embassy of Sweden in Washington DC to submit biometrics (fingerprints and photos) for this new residence permit card (UT card). However, there are certain exceptions to this rule for citizens of countries who do not require a visa to travel to Sweden, e.g. U.S. citizens.

More information regarding the new UT cards can be found on the Migration Agency'swebsite.