Grants and Scholarships for Study and Research

The following institutions offer grants, primarily for graduate or postgraduate study or research:

For study or research by Americans traveling to Sweden

The American-Scandinavian Foundation offers fellowships (up to $18,000) and grants (normally $3000) to individuals to pursue research or study in Sweden for up to one year.

The Fulbright Program, administered by the Institute of International Education, provides grants for international study and research by U.S. students.

The Swedish Institute funds approximately 150 scholarships for international students and researchers at Swedish universities or university colleges.

The Bicentennial Swedish-American Exchange Fund is a travel grant administered by the Swedish Institute, specifically intended to fund research projects by Americans traveling to Sweden.

The American Swedish Institute administers the Malmberg Scholarship and Fellowship Program. The scholarship is in the amount of up to $10,000 in support of academic study in Sweden by a U.S. resident.

The Swedish Women's Educational Association (SWEA) is a worldwide organization that offers two doctoral research scholarships. Additional stipends and scholarships are administered by local SWEA chapters, including those in Atlanta, Boston, Florida, Los Angeles, New Jersey, New York, San Francisco, Toronto and Washington D.C.

The American Women's Club in Stockholm offers a scholarship in the amount of $1500 to an American female citizen who has been accepted for a period of study or research at a Swedish educational institution.

For study or research by Swedes traveling to the U.S.

The American-Scandinavian Foundation administers over $450,000 each year in funding for Scandinavians to undertake study or research (usually on the graduate level) in the United States.

Thanks To Scandinavia grants over $250,000 each year in scholarships to dozens of Scandinavian students for study at American universities and medical centers.

The Swedish Fulbright Commission provides grants for entry by Swedish students and scholars into U.S. academic programs or institutions of higher learning.

The Sweden-America Foundation offer grants to Swedish citizens wishing to study or pursue research in the United States.

The American Scandinavian Society offers cultural grants to support Swedish artists in the New York area.