Registration of Children

A child who was born abroad must, before being able to apply for a Swedish passport, be added to the Swedish population register (folkbokföringen). This is done by submitting an application for a so-called coordination number in person at a Swedish consulate.

The application is free of charge and can be filed at all Swedish consulates in the US and at the Embassy in Washington.  The child must be accompanied by at least one legal guardian. You cannot apply for a coordination number and a passport at the same time, it is a two-fold application process.

> Instructions for adding a child to the Swedish population register