New Rules for Renewal of Swedish Driver License

As of May 1, 2017, a new driver license regulation is in effect that affects people who are permanent residents abroad outside the EEA and who wish to renew their Swedish driver licenses.

If you have a Swedish driver license and live abroad, you can use your Swedish license for as long as it is valid. Beyond this date, the license must be renewed.

As of May 1, 2017, if you are a permanent resident of a country outside the European Economic Area* (such as the United States) you can no longer renew your Swedish driver license; instead the driver license rules of the country where you are permanently residing will apply. (Please contact the Department of Motor Vehicles in your home state for information).

Please note that the new rules would only mean that a new driver license card could not be issued, your authorization to drive would still remain with the Swedish Transport Agency; you would not need to pass the driving test again. During a temporary visit in Sweden, a person holding an expired Swedish license could still drive if able to present a valid ID. Upon moving back to Sweden, a new driver license would be able to be issued. No new driving test would need to be taken. The date on the front of the driver license, under 4b, indicates the expiration of the date the license can be used as ID, and the date listed under 11 on the back of the card indicates the length of your authorization to drive. If no date is listed that would mean that no expiration date exists.

If you are only temporarily residing outside of the EEA area (and you are still registered as residing in Sweden with the Swedish Population Registry, i.e. still "folkbokförd" in Sweden), you may still apply for a new driver license from abroad. If you are residing within our consular district (NY, NJ, CT, PA, MA, ME, VT, RI, NH), you may send an email to with your full name, and complete postal address, inlcuding zip code, and we will send you the application form. Please note that the form is not available for downloading; we will send it to you via regular postal mail.

You can still pick up a new driver license at an embassy/consulate abroad. When your new driver license has been issued, you may pick it up at the consular location you've indicated on your application. In order to pick up a driver license at the Consulate General in New York, you must first schedule an appointment. Building security requires all visitors to have schedule appointments. 

> Book appointment to pick up driver license

The fee for a new driver license is $50 and is payable at pick-up. Accepted payment methods at the Consulate General in New York are credit/debit card (Visa or Mastercard). or cash .Personal checks are not accepted. 

If the license has already been paid for in Sweden, a $20 processing fee is due at pick-up in New York or at any other consular location in the U.S.

If you are permanently residing in a country within the European Economic Area (EEA*), you can exchange your driver license for a license issued by the competent authorities in the country of your residency.

> Find out more about how to renew your driver license on the Swedish Transport Agency website.


*EEA member countries: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Great Britain, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxemburg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, and Sweden.