Required documents

If your visa application is to be considered, you must have the documents listed below. A number of other documents are also required, depending on what type of visit you are planning.

Check which additional documents you need in the menu on the left, under the heading for the type of visit you wish to make.

The forms must be completed in English. Documents issued by the authorities in your country of origin are to be submitted together with a translation in Swedish or English by an authorised translator.

Starting on 18th August 2014 the Embassy will only accept Schengen visa application form and supporting documents in A4 size paper.At the time of submission of application either at the Embassy or VFS Global centre, the applicant or representative where applicant have already submitted their biometrics must bring both original and photocopy of the documents which are not in A4 size paper. The original documents will be reviewed and returned. Please note that biometrics is valid for 59 months.

You must have:

  • A completed and signed application form no. 119031, Application for Schengen Visa.
  • Original bank draft (from any bank) as payment of the application fee or bank card.
  • A passport or some other valid travel document.
    This must:
    - be valid for at least three months after your departure from the Schengen area
    - contain at least two empty pages
    - have been issued during the past ten years.
  • Mandatory to submit all previous passports.
  • One photograph in passport format, instructions for photo is available in document link.
  • Individual medical insurance covering the cost of emergency treatment and transport home for medical reasons. Read more under ‘Medical travel insurance’
  • Enough money to support yourself during your stay. The Embassy will take into consideration if you have paid for board and lodging in advance or live with friends or relatives. The embassy requires proof that you can support yourself, e.g. in the form of a statement of account from your bank or a wage specification for the past 3 months. If the person who is inviting you to Sweden will be paying for your support, you must show in the same way that he/she has enough money to do so. 
  • Enough money for the return journey, or a return ticket.
  • Documents that are specifically associated with the type of visit you are planning. Check under the relevant heading in the menu on the left.

If you are under 18 or are accompanied by children – additional documents as described under ‘Minors’ in the menu on the left.

If you are Tibetan kindly note that the  Identity Certificate (the yellow book, mostly used for Tibetans) is no longer accepted by Sweden as a valid travel document. This new regulation was amended on June 28, 2016. 

Please be informed that the Embassy reserves the right to request additional documentation in individual cases or call applicants for an interview.