Applying for a work permit

If you are a citizen of a country outside the EU and wish to work in Sweden, in most cases you need a work permit.

There are several different kinds of work permits, e.g. for artists, au pairs, berry pickers, visiting researchers, athletes and coaches. For details, read the information on the Swedish Migration Agency website. The website also describes what exemptions apply in the case of certain occupational groups working in Sweden for a limited period.

The quickest and easiest way to apply for a work permit is to do so online via the Swedish Migration Agency web application.

If you cannot apply online, you are to present your application documents in person at the Swedish embassy.

Rules and required documents

Read in the menu on the left about which rules apply, which documents are required and how you make your application.

If you are interested in working in Sweden, you can also find comprehensive information at the website Working in Sweden.

Family members

If you obtain a permit to work in Sweden a family member (e.g. husband/wife and  unmarried children under 21) may be granted a residence permit for the same period of time. If you receive a permit for at least six months, members of your family can also obtain work permits. Family members who are granted a residence permit need a residence permit card (see above).

Read more about residence permits for family members on the Swedish Migration Agency website.


For your information, it has come to the Embassy's knowledge that sometimes visa  applicants are offered assistance by unauthorized individuals and “visa agents”. The  embassy stresses that such "agents" are nothing but individuals engaging in a criminal act. So called “visa agents” have no competence what-so-ever in dealing with the actual case processing or outcome of a visa application. The same applies to “international job agents” that you have to pay some Money to before they “give out job contracts”.

If you have been a victim of fraud, don’t hesitate to file a police report immediately.