Applying for a residence permit to move to a close relative in Sweden

If you want to move to Sweden to live with a close relative, you need a residence permit. You can find answers to the most common questions in the document on the right.

Other rules apply if you, or your close relative in Sweden, are citizens of an EU/EEA country (other than Sweden). A close relative may for instance be a husband or wife or a child (a minor).

As of 20 July 2016, a temporary act will limit the possibility for close relatives of persons in need of protection with temporary residence permits to immigrate to Sweden. More detailed information about these regulations is available on the Swedish Migration Agency website.

Read more about the law limiting the possibilities of being granted a residence permit in Sweden

Swedish Migration Agency's website.


The easiest way to apply for a residence permit is to apply online. An online application goes directly to the Swedish Migration Agency. If you are unable to apply online, please ask your family members in Sweden to fill out the electronic application form, attach copies of documents and pay any application fee.

Swedish Migration Agency online application

If you are still unable or do not want to apply online, you can submit an application at the Swedish Embassy. You need to book an appointment first by sending an email to

Check the status of your application

You can check the status of your application on the Swedish Migration Agency website. You can check the following: student permit, work permit, residence permit, residence  card, passport, Swedish citizenship and asylum applications.

Rules and required documents

Read about the rules, which documents are required and how to apply step by step in the menu on the left.


Appointment bookings with the Embassy as well as application forms are always free of charge. You should never pay money for this service. At the moment it is not  possible to make appointments online. If  you are offered this, you are being scammed. If you have reason to believe that you have been a victim of fraud, don’t hesitate to file a police report immediately.