Applying for a residence permit to study in Sweden

If you will be studying in Sweden for more than three months and you are not an EU citizen, you need a residence permit.

If you will be studying for less than three months, you may need a visa instead.

List of countries whose citizens need a visa

The quickest and easiest way of applying for a residence permit to study at universities and colleges in Sweden is to apply online. Online applications go directly to the Swedish Migration Agency.

Online application on the Swedish Migration Agency website

If you cannot or do not want to apply online, or wish to study elsewhere than at university or college, you present the application documents at the Swedish embassy in person instead.

Rules and required documents

To find out which rules apply, which documents are required and how you apply, look in the menu on the left.

If you are interested in studying at university/college level in Sweden, you can find a full range of information on the Study in Sweden website.

Study in Sweden


For your information, it has come to the embassy's knowledge that sometimes visa applicants are offered assistance by unauthorized individuals and “visa agents”. The embassy stresses that such "agents" are nothing but individuals engaging in a criminal act. So called “visa agents” have no competence what-so-ever in dealing with the actual case processing or outcome of a visa application. The same applies to “international job agents” that you have to pay some money to before they “give out job contracts”.

If you have been a victim of fraud, don’t hesitate to file a police report immediately.